Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Utilities bill - does this seem high?

(36 Posts)
Checkedstripes Sun 19-Feb-17 15:15:08

Since moving into our current one bed flat we've had ecotricity as our electricity supplier (not our choice). Since April, we've been charged around £1,000 for our elec. There are only two of us living in the flat and we're generally out for the majority of the day. Ecotricity have our estimated annual consumption at 7,907kWh (around £122 pm).

Does this seem a lot, considering everything above? I've googled annual consumption and most companies have estimated actual houses at around 3,000-4,000kWh. We don't have gas, but the current amount, about £120 pcm, just seems a lot and it's more then we've ever paid before. I'm intending to switch over the sainsbury's elec but am curious!

JaxingJump Sun 19-Feb-17 15:17:58

I think there's something wrong or you have a seriously rip off tarring going on. I've a large 4 bed house, 3 small kids in all day. Tumble dryer on every day pretty much and expensive yard lighting on every night. It costs us £70/month.

Meandyouandyouandme Sun 19-Feb-17 15:19:22

Yes that seems a lot, we pay £92 to Sainsbury's energy for gas and electric. We have a 4 bed detached house, there are 3 of us, work from home some of the time, and are not shy to put the heating on.

DeterminedToChange Sun 19-Feb-17 15:22:15

When do you have your heating on, Jaxing? That sounds very low.

snowone Sun 19-Feb-17 15:23:16

Have you actually monitored your electricity consumption? We live in a 4 bed barn conversion and don't spend that on gas and electricity combined! We had really high bills after moving in to our property and it's because we were on a flat rate from the supplier! We switched to a cheaper company and halved our bill.

PastysPrincess Sun 19-Feb-17 15:23:42

Dont forget elec is more expensive than gas, so if your elec only it will come out more expensive.

dementedpixie Sun 19-Feb-17 15:26:31

Have you tracked your usage? Do you have storage heaters and are you using them correctly? What about your water heater, how long do you have it on for? Electricity is more expensive than gas.

NanooCov Sun 19-Feb-17 15:26:42

Depends on what your heating and hot water is. An electric system rather than GCH will always be more expensive.

dementedpixie Sun 19-Feb-17 15:27:05

Do you have an economy 7 tariff too?

ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 19-Feb-17 15:28:05

Are you Electric only? Do you have an Economy 7 meter? Do you use storage heaters? Do you have prepayment meters? Did you carry over a debt from a previous property or supplier? Do you have underfloor heating or and vivariums etc? Have you been billed to actual reads or estimates? No one can tell if that is high just from the information you have given.

Checkedstripes Sun 19-Feb-17 15:28:12

We're about to switch companies as I thought repeatedly that it was way too high. There is an air circulation thing in the flat that is on all the time but this is on low (converted office building, so we only have two tiny windows) as it can't be turned off. How can we monitor electricity consumption? Also, as we're in a block of flats, can the landlord be sneaky and somehow get the whole building's elec put onto the tenants?

jellycat Sun 19-Feb-17 15:32:24

For the last 3 years we've used around 11,000 kWh per year (we've got owl intuition which keeps a record). That's for a 5 bed detached and we are in some of the time during the week due to working from home etc. That doesn't include heating or oven which are gas.

dementedpixie Sun 19-Feb-17 15:34:32

We use about 5000kwh per year electric but also have gas central heating. 7/8000kwh doesn't sound unreasonable if you don't have gas too

Checkedstripes Sun 19-Feb-17 15:39:39

Are you Electric only? Yes, did say in the OP i think.
Do you have an Economy 7 meter? No. Not an option in our rented flat I believe.
Do you use storage heaters? No.
Do you have prepayment meters? No.
Did you carry over a debt from a previous property or supplier? No we didn't - we were with British Gas before who I now believe are wonderful compared to the bloody awful Ecotricity.
Do you have underfloor heating or and vivariums etc? Nope, nothing that exotic.
Have you been billed to actual reads or estimates? Actual reads unfortunately.

The only things I can think of are the air circulation system (which I will go bananas over if it's causing this, --fucking useless thing--) and an immersion heater boiler that I currently can't figure out if it can be turned off as I know that immersion heaters aren't good for bills.

LilyLongtree Sun 19-Feb-17 15:48:19

I live in a tiny 2 bedroom cottage, no gas, only me and the dogs. My electricity is £1400 a year, that's for lights and usual appliances and electric radiators, no immersion.Yours does not sound far out to me. I do swap suppliers. but only notice nominal diffrence. Libraries in our area hire electricity monitors? Or you can buy for a few quid on eBay - you just boring rammer and clip on supply wire.

LilyLongtree Sun 19-Feb-17 15:52:31

* programme! Not boring rammer!

dementedpixie Sun 19-Feb-17 15:54:35

Could be the immersion heater as that's like leaving the kettle boiling all day. Is there a timer?

dementedpixie Sun 19-Feb-17 15:56:20

What sort of heaters do you have then? I always thought it was storage heaters with electricity

duxb Sun 19-Feb-17 15:58:42

I'm the immersion is on all day, that's what will be doing it.

ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 19-Feb-17 15:59:51

If you are not turning off your immersion heater that is what will be doing it.

LowDudgeon Sun 19-Feb-17 16:09:12

3-bed mid terrace here (plus attic room) - our annual leccy usage is around 4000kwh, but we have gas CH.

3900kwh on top of that for heating/hot water, in a 1-bed flat where you're out all day, sounds like a lot. Def investigate the immersion heater!

specialsubject Sun 19-Feb-17 16:19:36

How much are you actually using? What do your meter reads show?

And if you pay the bill, you choose the supplier, even if you are renting of one of us evil bastard landlords. Do a compare and get switching asap.

NancyJoan Sun 19-Feb-17 16:24:04

If that includes your heating/hot water/oven, I think it sounds about right, I'm afraid.

NatalieRushman Sun 19-Feb-17 16:31:39

Does sound a tad high. Our 200 yo 5 bed with very high ceilings doesn't cost much more that! Our bill usually fluctuates around £150-200.

JaxingJump Sun 19-Feb-17 21:17:16

OP you asked about my heating but I've an oil AGA that does our cooking and hot water (so no immersion) and our radiators are also run by oil.

My electric is actually £30/month but was £70 before I got solar panels installed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now