Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Selling a mobile phone to pay bills?

(6 Posts)
sammyjayneex Fri 17-Feb-17 13:58:07

I have an iPhone 6s Plus on contract (24 months but I've been paying it for 13 months already) I still have £300 left to pay off the contract (over the remainder 12 months) but can't afford the monthly bill anymore. At the time of getting the phone I could 100% afford to pay it and didn't expect not to be able to. Circumstances changed and now I can't. It's the only luxury I own. So I have decided to just sell it and pay off some of the contract which will mAke monthly payments lower. But I will only get around £189-£199 for it selling at a shop so can't pay off full amount. Is there any point to this? I really don't want to NOT pay it and owe them debt at the end of it adding more charges. Struggling for money at the moment so need to sell it but I don't want to do it if it's pointless. Facebook and eBay take too long to sell and people just say they are interested then are not. Anyone have bah ideas?

booksandchoc Fri 17-Feb-17 13:59:46

dh sold his iPhone 6s last month to music magpie and got over £300 for it.

sammyjayneex Fri 17-Feb-17 14:22:03

Booksandchoc

I had never heard of music magpie before but I've just looked online after your suggestion and they will pay £303. That's really better than anywhere that I have seen. Thank you !

Notreallyhappy Sat 18-Feb-17 14:30:11

Can you re-haggle the terms of the contract... minutes & data you have to reduce the bill & keep the phone or you really need the cash. Then go to payg type sim?

ellesbellesxxx Sun 19-Feb-17 11:06:16

Half way through your contract you can ask to reduce your tariff so why not do this, you could then sell the phone and get a cheaper one for the SIM card paying less each month?

YoungBritishPissArtist Sun 19-Feb-17 11:13:44

Just a thought, do you know how to wipe all your details off the phone before you sell it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now