Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Job seekers

(5 Posts)
Joshsmomma13 Wed 15-Feb-17 20:26:25

The job centre is sending me for training the training is till 8pm everyday which means I won't be home till at least 9.30 pm I have a child. How is this even allowed ? I am a single parent. Does anyone know where I stand on this ?

MissMatchedSocks Wed 15-Feb-17 21:47:50

Is it JSA/UC you're claiming or something else? And what is the training for?

I'm afraid they're pretty crap IME and really struggle to understand the problems that people can have in applying for certain roles, travelling times, childcare issues etc but an idea of what you're claiming and what training they're expecting you to do might help with the responses on what you could possibly do.

Do you have family that can help at all with childcare? Or is the other parent likely to be any help?

Babyroobs Fri 17-Feb-17 19:09:14

How old is your child?

Tomsdottir Tue 21-Feb-17 23:54:54

Lone parents of a child or children under the age of 13 are able to restrict their availability to school hours during term time and in some cases during the school holidays as well. Lone parents of children aged 5 but not yet at school have different rules. If you would like to check which restrictions you can place on your availability for work/training/the work program, you could talk to your local CAB or advice centre. In order not to be sanctioned, it's important to try and comply with your current jobseekers agreement/claimant commitment until any changes have been agreed with your work coach.

desire2017 Thu 23-Feb-17 14:27:27

These people don't live in the real world!! I would tell them it's unreasonable to expect you to do that. If you have a child and your single with no family to help and childcare would be difficult as your on JSA then they need to look at that again. I know they are trying to get people back to work but this is disgusting putting mothers in difficult positions

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now