Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How do i find out who my electric supplier is?

(16 Posts)
missnatalie Wed 28-Feb-07 17:50:20

DP an i moved into a new build rented property in the summer last year. Since then we havnt been paying for the electricity as we dont know who were with. I asked the landlord and he said just wait for a bill. Weve been in nearly 9 months and still havnt received a bill. I phoned the building company and they said that we were with powergen. Phoned powergen who said that we were with edf. Phoned edf who said that we wernt with them either. Since then i have phoned every supplier i can think of and they all say the same. Were with none of them? What should i do. Were moving out in 3 months and need to get it sorted before we go or the landlord wont return the deposit. What should i do?

Natalie

airy Wed 28-Feb-07 17:52:44

You could ring th landlord and tell him exactly whats happened. Its hardly your fault if noone will admit to supplying you electric! lol
Of course you could always move out and say nothing, if no bills have come in and no supplier has you on record who's to know
This would be very bad and dishonest though

missnatalie Wed 28-Feb-07 17:55:52

DP said to do the same thing and just move out without mentioning it but im worried of what would happen. Would we not end up with CCJs? Plus the landlord will not return the deposit until he knows that all bills are clear.

airy Wed 28-Feb-07 18:01:24

Well you can't get a ccj until someone actually chases you for money, who's going to hase you if noone has you on record! lol
But if the landlord won't return the deposit until he knows bills are clear then I would call him up and explain the situation to him. If you've called all the companies you can think of and you havn't had a bill there isn't an awful lot left you can do.
One last thought, was it brand new when you moved in? if it was all of your neighbours will have been connected to the same company for electric. You could try asking around.

airy Wed 28-Feb-07 18:03:22

I just had a look at my electric meter, I live in a new build property and it was brand new when I moved in, there is sticker on mine that says what company is supplying and a no. to call. Is there anything like that around your meter?

airy Wed 28-Feb-07 18:05:21

One last thought
How much was your deposit and is it more than you would be having to pay for the electric you've used since you moved in?
It might be worth telling the landlord to sort out the electricity problem and to keep the deposit to pay whats due.

missnatalie Wed 28-Feb-07 19:06:54

Yes the property was a new build and we are the 1st tenants. Ive had a look on the meter and theres no stickers on thre. Just a barcode / meter number. Our deposit was £475. We only have elec at the property so im guesswing that we would have used more than that. Ive asked neighbours and there all with different suppliers so i dont know whats happend there. Im on the ground floor of a block of apartments. The guy above is with npower. The people next door moved out without paying for their elec. I dont know whats happend to them. When i phoned edf when we first moved in they did say that the elec was still under the builders and that they hadnt handed it over. I phoned back a few weeks later and they said they didnt know what i was talking about and had no trace of the call. If which ever company were with doesnt have any of our details, once we move out and if the landlord finds out who the elec is with is he able to give them our details?

zippitippitoes Wed 28-Feb-07 19:14:37

when the electricity supply is put in the builder nominates an electricity supplier, he should then have the meter installed by that electricity co and unless the landlord who bought the property changed the supplier it will be still the one who installed the meter

ask the landlord to ask the builder for the meter point number ande the nominated supplier

zippitippitoes Wed 28-Feb-07 19:22:13

err

how did you get the electricity switched on when you fist moved in?

didn't you read the meter?

lovelymoo Wed 28-Feb-07 19:41:11

You need to ring Transco they are the independant body af all Gas/elec suppliers and keep a log of what company supplies who.
Just give them your postcode and number and they can tell you over the phone

missnatalie Wed 28-Feb-07 20:32:02

Zipp - the nominated supply company was powergen (thats what the building company said anyway). I phoned powergen and powergen and they said its not them. The landlord hasnt got a clue who it is. He just told me to wait for the bill. I didnt need to get the elec turned on as it was left on by the builders. I did take readings when we first moved in but ive got no one to give them to.

Lovelymoo - just tried transco but they said they dont know. Gave the postcode and house number but nothing came up on there on computers.

I havnt got a clue what to do. Im stuck!!

airy Wed 28-Feb-07 21:02:06

I think in that case you will just have to tell the landlord you've done everything humanly possible to find out where the electric is coming from and if he wants you to settle bills before you leave he can either find the supplier for you, or keep the deposit and you'll leave it at that. Which would probably leave you better off if the whole place is electric.

airy Wed 28-Feb-07 21:03:27

Did you give transco the meter number? They should be able to get details from that even if not from your postcode. If the place is new they might not even be able to find your postcode yet. I've been in my new place for 2 years now and still some places don't recognise the postcode.

softmusk Wed 28-Feb-07 21:36:53

we moved in to council house and the council gave us number to ring and find out who we ehere with maybe if you rang ur local council they could help

charliecat Wed 28-Feb-07 21:53:22

yeah theres a number you can ring...that tell you who your supplier is.

zippitippitoes Wed 28-Feb-07 21:57:18

it sounds like powergen then

they have probably lost the record

we were told that we weren't allowed to arrange power supplies to a property we are building because we weren't the ones on the paperwork they tell you any old rubbish unfortuntely

in your case it is the landlord who has the responsibility

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now