Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Want a pension but don't know where to start ?

(3 Posts)
stevemolly Wed 15-Feb-17 10:32:50

I am so confused, I am 38 and already pay into the workplace pension scheme but I've been looking into getting my own and can't make head or tail of any of it.

Any ideas where to start or recommendations?

TIA

JoJoSM2 Wed 15-Feb-17 10:59:34

There's a good book published by the financial times on saving for your pension- it would give you a good overview.
Basically, your options are to put more money into the pension at work, speak to an IFA so that they put together sth for you (fees involved) or go with a self-invested pension (you need to be pretty savvy for that).

greenmidgetgems Wed 15-Feb-17 14:51:36

Firstly, speak to your employer and see if they match any contributions you make. If so then increase the contributions into your workplace scheme up to whatever they will match.

If they don't match contributions you can still increase your contribution to your workplace scheme, it's likely to have lower charges than a lot of other pensions. The downside of a workplace scheme is that the investment choice may not be great.

An IFA will help you find the best option for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now