Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.


(12 Posts)
Rebecca020275 Tue 14-Feb-17 14:24:47

I'm on ESA benefits as I'm too depressed to work and might have ME as I'm always tired. I own a house with 120k equity. I have 2 girls aged 12 &14. Housing pay the interest only part of my mortgage (50% of it). Family court have ordered my ex gives me all the equity and that the house is put in my sole name. This has now been done. My ex stays on the mortgage in name only as I don't work, so the mortgage company will not take him off it. If I declare to benefits I am now the sole owner and the amount of equity, will they stop paying the interest on my mortgage? Can they force me to sell and use the equity to rent a house? My boyfriend stays over 5 nights a week, he has his own house, is that classed as living with me with regards to me claiming benefits?

PigletWasPoohsFriend Tue 14-Feb-17 14:26:22

Don't they only pay the interest for a certain amount of time?

kayleighnotts Tue 14-Feb-17 15:11:59

i would consider 5 nights a week as living together, If he has his own house why bother paying his bills when he spends almost all his time at yours?

Rebecca020275 Tue 14-Feb-17 15:35:15

They have been paying my interest for 3.5 years. I can't let my boyfriend move in otherwise I will definitely lose my benefits. So he rents a room in his place to make it worthwhile. That's why I need a definitive answer to my questions as I just don't know what to do.

Babyroobs Tue 14-Feb-17 17:14:56

I thought they only paid mortgage interest for 2 years. is this post a wind up??

backaftera2yearbreak Tue 14-Feb-17 17:18:44

If the capital you have is a house you live In then no, you won't be forced to sell.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Tue 14-Feb-17 17:22:19

i would consider 5 nights a week as living together, If he has his own house why bother paying his bills when he spends almost all his time at yours?

Yes me too and imagine DWP would raise an eyebrow too.

GreenGoblin0 Tue 14-Feb-17 17:57:29

the two year limit for mortgage interest is only for those on jsa not esa.

kayleighnotts Tue 14-Feb-17 18:01:52

You can't allow him to stay over. it doesn't matter if he rents his own place, they will see it as a cover story to maximise benefits. if he sleeps, eats, showers and wash his clothes at yours more times than at his own house the will say he lives there and you are committing fraud. If he also claims benefits he too will get in trouble. You need to declare him or not allow him to stay over as much. It only takes one phone call.

Akire Tue 14-Feb-17 18:02:51

Someone who stays over on regular basis and is considered pooling resources is considered to be living together. So even if he never stayed yet was at your all evening , ate together, shopped together, went holiday together spent all time there but slept in his own bed would still be investigated.
5 nights is moved in so don't know how you can say "you can't let him" if it's serious enough for 5 nights then it's serious enough for him to pool his wages and support your family. If it's too soon for that then he needs move out and date properly unfortunety you can't have the best of both worlds.

SittingAround1 Tue 14-Feb-17 18:05:51

You should go see the citizen's advice bureau. They'll be able to advise on what to do.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Tue 14-Feb-17 18:09:49

There is also a lot more to ME than just feeling tiered all the time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: