Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Hubby out of work is there anything we could claim?

(6 Posts)
magicgirl74 Mon 13-Feb-17 21:18:49

Hubby was made redundant a year ago this coming march and still no job even though he has had a few interviews.I was incapacity benefit for several years because of long term mh issues but i was thrown off of it when the private company was brought in to do the assessments even though i had gp letters and psychologists letter,i was told to appeal but I didn't have it in me at the time as my young son had asd and i was struggling to cope.Ds gets DLA soon to change to PIP as he has just turned 16 and i claim carers allowance.Hubby had savings so hasn't claimed JSA but they are dwindling fast as we are using them to pay mortgage and utilities,does anyone know if there is anything else we could claim as I'm getting worried that me might lose the house if hubby can't find work soon and ds is starting to notice dh and myself getting stressed about things we need but can't find money for.I have sold everything i had that was worth anything and we food shop on a budget and cut back everywhere we can,i used to be able to claim tax credits but they stopped several years ago when hubby was promoted to a better payed position.I have looked on claim websites but find them really confusing so any help or pointers would be appreciated and would it be worth me making an appointment with the citizens advice bureau x

frazzled3ds Mon 13-Feb-17 21:22:27

Have a look on here:

If that's a bit confusing, pop along to CAB and see what they say too.

CactusFred Mon 13-Feb-17 21:27:02

If the savings have gone down enough you can claim income support to top up the carers allowance and he can go on the claim.

If you re apply for your own PIP he could also claim carers for you perhaps then there's no need to go near JSA.

GlitterGlue Mon 13-Feb-17 21:35:36

It would very definitely be worth making an appointment with the citizens advice bureau. Claim what you can, even if that's jsa (it sounds as though he's reluctant to claim?) until you all get back on your feet. Take advantage of everything the job centre can put his way to help with seeking work. There may be additional help for those who have been made redundant he can tap into.

Babyroobs Mon 13-Feb-17 21:36:13

If you have no income then you should be able to claim child tax credits again if your ds is still in education. You could have claimed these from last April. Put in a claim asap ( I think you can do it online). Also if your dh had paid regular NI contributions he should have been able to claim contributions based Job seekers allowance when he was made redundant. If you have virtually no income coming in you may be able to get help with paying the interest on your mortgage payments. I think your dh may need to be claiming JSA though to do this and not sure if carers allowance would disqualify you from claiming .You could do with a proper benefit check from Citizens advise and perhaps also get some advise from CAB on filling out the PIP form for your son to ensure he continues to get his disability benefits. Good luck.

Babyroobs Mon 13-Feb-17 21:38:53

CAB will be able to check whether it would be more beneficial to claim JSA or Income support.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: