Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Family springboard mortgage advice

(5 Posts)
BarryTheKestrel Mon 13-Feb-17 11:15:01

Me, DH and our 2 Dcs live in a house owned by a family member. Each month we pay rent to a value just above their mortgage payments. They have asked if we want to buy the house. It needs quite a bit of work doing to it so they are willing to sell it below the current market value, essentially just enough to pay off their mortgage.

We don't earn a lot, I work PT, DH works full time. But his earnings are topped up with commission. In an average year we earn around £29k. We have around £7k credit card debt (from DIY and maternity money issues) that we are slowly paying off every month.

We have been offered by DGPS the 10% required for a barclays family spring board mortgage, which is a 100% mortgage where family put 10% into a springboard savings account and as long as you keep up repayments they get this back after 3 years (with interest).

Does anyone have any experience in this? With our current financial situation would we even be considered?

Our monthly 'rent' payments are around the same as the repayments would be as far as we can see and we don't struggle on a monthly basis, just don't have much spare income at the end of the month.

This would be the only way we could get onto the property ladder unless we win the lottery/some rich unknown relative dies and leaves us a fortune. Despite the work needed we love our home, it's perfect for the kids and we wouldn't want to move for at least 10 years if not longer.

There is no rush to buy and this is more of a kind offer than a 'I'm selling the house, buy it or get out' situation. However we don't want to miss this mortgage offer if it means we can finally get on the ladder.

JoJoSM2 Mon 13-Feb-17 19:27:02

Just speak to the back - you won't know until you've tried and have nothing to lose. Given the the mortgage payment would be similar to your current rent, it sounds like there is a chance for you to be accepted.

JoJoSM2 Mon 13-Feb-17 19:27:18

*the bank

Bearbehind Tue 14-Feb-17 06:09:41

No one can say for definite except lenders but, on the face of it, the £7k credit card debt is going to be your down fall.

It's nearly 25% of your gross household income and lenders aren't going to like that.

Add on 2 children which reduces affordability further and no deposit of your own and I think you'll struggle.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Tue 14-Feb-17 08:06:34

Speak to a mortgage broker. I like the concept, but you need to compare this to the alternatives available in the market and see, now you have your deposit, what you can secure. If you DGPS want the money back and the Springboard account is the only option, speak to Barclays. I agree that the credit card debt might be an affordability issue, but only a broker or Barclays can confirm this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now