Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Agency/temping and tax credits - too complicated?

(3 Posts)
Yoshimihere Sun 12-Feb-17 13:47:17

I am about to start agency work 3 days a week. It pays ok but I'll have very high travel costs, nursery fees and after school care. I am a single parent of two and wondering if this is far too risky?

Does anyone have experience?

I currently get income support, child benefit and child tax credits and 15 hours free termtime childcare for mine child.

I will be very dependent on tax credits to make this doable.

I'm not expecting to be much better off but I am worried that I might end up worse off. It's hard to factor everything in!

So....

If I was sick or had to take time off because a child was sick I would have a scary shortfall. I don't have a significant buffer. That's perhaps too risky.

For tax credit calculations would they pay me based on a projected year's salary at the starting weekly pay. I would not have guaranteed contracted income. Presumably i just inform them of changes. Or it gets picked up at year end when I do a tax return if unearned a lot less/more (assume a tax return is needed?)

for childcare costs, with nursery I estimate the monthly average and this is used in the working tax credit calculation. If I get this wrong the amount would be adjusted when I do a tax return in march/April 2018? Am i then billed/refunded accordingly?

I have not yet worked out summer holiday care for DC1 (at school). If I use a registered provider would that then be taken into consideration at year end if included in tax return? Or do i have to guess up front?

Will CAB help with this level of detail?

TheDrsDocMartens Sun 12-Feb-17 14:09:15

I do a predicted pay for the year. I have to let them know average hours if work for 3+ weeks.
Variable hours will be hard work re childcare though. We aren't entitled as I only work for a couple of weeks at a time.

TheDrsDocMartens Sun 12-Feb-17 14:09:46

I do a predicted pay for the year. I have to let them know average hours if work for 3+ weeks.
Variable hours will be hard work re childcare though. We aren't entitled as I only work for a couple of weeks at a time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now