Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Bank Accounts

(11 Posts)
RooDaisy Sat 11-Feb-17 10:57:37

I'm wondering if anyone can help me decide whether to switch bank account. And if I do, who should I switch to?
I'm with HSBC advantage, pay £10 pm for phone insurance etc.

I saw something the other day saying Halifax have a good deal at the moment and have had a brief look on line but there's so much info, I can't decide.

TupperwareTat Sat 11-Feb-17 11:02:14

How much is your phone worth? Mine was £80 from the Tesco phone shop instore.
I looked at a bank account that offered phone insurance, the excess charge would have been £50, If I had made a claim.

Definately not worth it.

Then they offered car breakdown cover.

So I got my own breakdown cover at £4 a month.

I went with First Direct bank and got £150 for joining, no monthly fee.

I will switch to Halifax soon to get another £100.

RooDaisy Sat 11-Feb-17 11:05:27

Phone is worth about £330. I don't know what the excess is so will defo take a look at the details and compare.

Thank you!

TupperwareTat Sat 11-Feb-17 11:12:09

Would your phone be covered under your home contents insurance?

JoJoSM2 Sat 11-Feb-17 11:52:29

A lot depends on how much you tend to keep in your account and if you have direct debits. Some accounts offer cash back on direct debits or high interest on money kept in the account and they don't charge a fee.

I would also look into having that phone insurance -£120 per year seems extortionate as some people ensure entire houses for not much more.

Heratnumber7 Sat 11-Feb-17 11:55:07

I don't know what incentives they offer, but I've been with First Direct for 20+ years and wouldn't consider changing. Their customer service is second to none.

lionsleepstonight Sun 12-Feb-17 11:38:03

I'm with first direct too, pay 15 a month but for that get 2 phones covered, holiday insurance and breakdown cover. It certainly covers the cost for us, as we go abroad often and have 2 cars that are covered.
Also fd are amazing, service great and you deal with humans!

specialsubject Sun 12-Feb-17 16:51:08

there are switching incentives about so worth the hassle - there is often a cockup in the process. The 'high' interest accounts rack up at about a fiver or less a month now.

I think co-op do included phone insurance.

don't be a loyal customer, that is for suckers.

lovelyupnorth Mon 13-Feb-17 05:34:03

Wow wouldn't pay for any account with a monthly fee. I switch often and HSBC/M&S have paid me £480 in the last 12 months to bank with them and co-op £150.

Still keep my old FD account as use the free overdraft.

If you really look at the cost of thinks like insurance you can get better cheaper deals than packaged accounts. We've been on two holidays recently - one US and one europe and our insurance for both was under £30 for a family of 4.

RooDaisy Tue 14-Feb-17 13:43:12

I don't have house insurance, it's the one thing I've not got round to setting up. Thanks for all the advice, am going to go some googling and see what I can get deals on.

specialsubject Tue 14-Feb-17 13:58:16

If you rent, you need contents insurance.

If you own, buildings and contents need sorting yesterday !!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now