Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Severn Trent Water, being refunded for overcharge before 2014, can someone help?

(7 Posts)
intheknickersoftime Fri 10-Feb-17 13:17:59

We have lived in our house since 2002 and it has recently come to light that Severn Trent have been overcharging us. Our ground water doesn't run into the sewers as we thought and had been charged for but soaks away. They have refunded us for the last three years, around £280, but are refusing to backdate any further. Do I have any grounds to complain to ofwat? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 14-Feb-17 13:33:57

I did this with Severn Trent and they refunded the whole street but the estate is only 4 years old.

I don't think their obliged to back date any further from what I remember BUT it costs you nothing to go to ofwat.

It might cost them less to pay you than to have you go to Ofwat. I would email the CEO of Severn Trent expressing your extreme disappointment that they didn't set your account up properly and overcharged you for years.

I would also want to see the original paperwork from the developer to ST because they might have told ST there was a soakaway.

It's worth a punt isn't it?.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 14-Feb-17 13:41:46

I found this for you.

intheknickersoftime Tue 14-Feb-17 16:19:46

Thanks so much fluffy cloud, that's really helpful. The estate we live on was built in the seventies but I have been taking to neighbours who have contacted them in the past about this. Ofwat have been really helpful. They have told me that if others have reported then that is grounds for them to take this further. Apparently the whole estate soaks away to the pond at the bottom. I never knew! Feel like such a div. I am waiting to hear from ST again and then ofwat have told me to write an official complaint letter. If I still don't get any joy they will pursue on the grounds that ST would have been aware. I can't let this drop. It must be over a thousand pounds I've overpaid and we have struggled to pay in the past and threatened court. I'm so angry!

intheknickersoftime Tue 14-Feb-17 16:21:19

That link has given me hope.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 14-Feb-17 16:33:40

At a last resort print out small claims documents and fill them in, you can represent yourself in small claims but they'll have to hire a solicitor.

It's cheaper to settle. The fact that other neighbours had previously complained puts them on the back foot.

When we moved in the site manager told me we had a SA, still took me three years to realise and claim.

intheknickersoftime Tue 14-Feb-17 17:26:18

Thanks so much, you've been really helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now