Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Average weekly supermarket spend

(16 Posts)
Millie04 Fri 10-Feb-17 11:16:13

Boring subject but I'm curious to know what families spend on their weekly supermarket shops? I find myself spending £120-170 per week on supermarket shops during week. Family of four, two veggies, v little processed food (ice cream, fish in breadcrumbs, sausages but no processed meals). Probably spend £20 a week on wine and have 2 cats. Am looking to cut household spend and think I could reduce supermarket spend for starters!

JoJoSM2 Fri 10-Feb-17 13:58:40

£120 -£170 is quite a spread... We used to spend about £120 for 2 adults but in the last month I have managed to cut back to about £80. I'd say that £120 for a family of 4 wouldn't be much - that's only £30 per person.

thetwocultures Fri 10-Feb-17 14:17:34

Ooh placemarking!

There's me OH and DS (under 2) and a dog..... Always feels like I'm nipping out to get something extra.
Trying to massively cut down. Varies greatly anything between 60-100 blush

Rikalaily Fri 10-Feb-17 14:20:41

I spend around £100 on family of 7. Pet food for 1 dog and three cats is bought separately and costs about £25 a month.

Silvertap Fri 10-Feb-17 18:02:31

I spend around £90 on average for 2 adults and 2 toddlers. That's for nearly every meal - toddlers get
2 lunches pw at nursery

FourKidsNotCrazyYet Fri 10-Feb-17 18:11:13

Approximately £250 when all the children are home (19, 17, 11 and 4) we buy our meat from a local butcher a half lamb (£125) or half pig (£55) which fills the freezer. My friend supplies us with eggs for free and I get milk delivered for roughly £8 a week.

BackforGood Fri 10-Feb-17 18:36:05

Lol. There are millions of these threads.
You'll get people with big budgets and people with small budgets then you'll get all the people that refuse to believe the others can spend so much or so little.

Generally, part way through the thread people realise they aren't comparing like with like - eg do your dc have school dinners on top ? Do the adults buy lunch out or take from home ? Do you get a weekly takeaway etc.etc

To kick you off from the skinflints side, we spend around £40 pw in the 'big shop) - probably up to another £10 as I buy a few bits and bobs at other places once every 6 weeks or so, and usually we go out and get extra bread part way through week. So say £50 pw whilst ds is at university, and add £10 - £15 or so a week on when he is home.
We have 4 (or 5) adult sized people here, no pets, obviously no nappies.

Notreallyhappy Fri 10-Feb-17 19:00:20

3 grown ups.... today spent £33 in tesco,, £86 in m&s including 50 on wine & £20 in home bargains.
That's enough for 10 days what I bought.
Weekly food spend is what you can afford.smile

CurlsandCurves Fri 10-Feb-17 22:20:02

BackforGood exactly

I spend on average £120-130 a week for 2 adults and 2 children. But my mum can spend just as much on her and my dad alone, because it's all branded or 'naice' stuff. And good on em, they worked hard enough for it.

I could spend a heck of a lot less but right now it's affordable for us.

Alicesmith85 Sun 12-Feb-17 19:10:25

About £100-£120. I feel this is too much, we shop at Tesco, we have a Lidl nearby I have tried and think is awful, and Asda is seven miles away and the veg and fruit seems to go off so quickly.

Our shop does include some alcohol, baby food and snacks, my husbands deodorant, shampoo and some cleaning stuff (the raft I get Wilko own brand in bulk- amazing)

Alicesmith85 Sun 12-Feb-17 19:11:11

It's two adults and a toddler by the way. My husband eats loads and I eat a lot of fresh fruit which bumps it up.

Millie04 Mon 13-Feb-17 14:22:55

Thanks for replying. My problem is I work full time and don't have time to go to several shops to get the bargains. I am trying to get back to Internet shopping though as when I've previously done this I've spent less, not being prompted to buy promotional stuff etc. Also good if planning a few different recipes and need things you don't normally buy.

SquidgeyMidgey Tue 14-Feb-17 21:33:54

Tge amount we spend annoys me but tbh I'm not willing to make the changes I would need to make to get it down. 2 adults, 2 children and a dog, all cleaning products and soap/shampoo type stuff comes in £170ish a week. All free range meats and a few organic veggies (we gets through tonnes of fruit & veg), most meals cooked from scratch, and that's breakfasts, lunches and dinners for all 4. I get it delivered, I don't have the time or energy for supermarket hopping.

Millie04 Wed 15-Feb-17 18:24:12

Squidgy sounds exactly like me!

GreenRut Wed 15-Feb-17 18:27:24

Around £130 for 2 adults and 3 children, one in nappies. About £30 of that is on wine. Online shop only and the odd top up of something I've forgotten.

empirerecordsrocked Wed 15-Feb-17 18:35:48

£80-£90 on Tesco delivery and around another £50 on wine / weekend treats. Two adults, two five year olds and a dog. The Tesco shop covers 7 main meals, packed lunch for dh and breakfast and dog food. Kids have school dinners and I buy lunch at work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now