Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Would you ask for a pay rise in this situation?

(7 Posts)
employmentmatters Wed 08-Feb-17 11:05:02

I am currently 6 months pregnant.
I go on maternity leave April.

I work in the construction industry (office based) and am contracted to 45 hours a week.

There is only one of me who does my job in the company and and have bought up a few times that more than just me is needed for the role however, business is currently good and order book is healthy (nearly full for the year).
I often end up doing overtime to meet deadlines. Overtime is not paid.
Overtime can add another 2-5 hours per week.

I don't feel my renumeration is the fair going rate.
My salary is £36k per year.
This works out at £15.40 per hour based on a 45 typical week.
Average salaries for my position is typically anywhere between £35 for basic position to £50k for senior position.
Typically these positions are advertised at 40 hour working weeks meaning my equivilent yearly salary using my hourly rate is £32k per year.

Working out what I feel I am worth would put my hourly rate up to £17,80 per hour which would be a salary of £36k per year on a 40 hour basis or £41k per year on my hours of 45 a week.
However this seems like a lot to ask, and I'm going on maternity leave soon.

Would you ask in my position?

JoJoSM2 Fri 10-Feb-17 17:23:55

By the sound of it, you are underpaid. I think now is the time to ask. You will be less likely to do so when you come back from maternity leave as you might feel a bit out of it...

And remember, you're not asking for much - just for the going rate...

Millybingbong Fri 10-Feb-17 20:13:09

I think you have a strong rationale to ask for a salary review.

However I would think that your employer might be reluctant to do it seeing as you are about to dip out of the organisation for up to a year and you might come back with different priorities (ie not doing any ovetime)

lionsleepstonight Fri 10-Feb-17 20:47:57

I also think you need to go in with specific examples of what you have achieved in your time with the company and why this means you deserve a pay rise, and mention at the same time you've done some benchmarking research and your current rate falls short of the average you've seen for current going rates.

I don't thing going in with just benchmarking examples is going to get you a pay rise.

AlexanderHamilton Fri 10-Feb-17 20:52:23

I work for a construction industry company in payroll & I obviously don't know your exact role but you sound well paid to me. Your current pay is certainly on a oar with our senior contracts managers & is actually slightly more than most.

We are Midlands based rather than Alondon based. They work whatever hours are required usually 8am - 4.30pm but sometimes evenings & weekends if visiting site.

Want2bSupermum Fri 10-Feb-17 20:57:50

Now is not the time to ask for a pay increase. When you get back from your leave, wait 3 months and then say something. Back it up by having an offer in hand at GBP40-45K for a proper bump.

I say this as someone who is aggressive about my pay raises.

difficultyear Fri 10-Feb-17 21:12:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now