Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Child tax credit and income support querie

(16 Posts)
MumofthreeandBean Wed 08-Feb-17 07:18:19

Expecting twins and looking at whether I will be able to return to self employment after my maternity pay ends.
Atm we get working tax credit and child tax credit, hubby is on contribution based esa.
If I were to give up work would we get income support and child tax credit? I have been told this is possible by a family member but I assumed you just got income support alone.

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks x

Babyroobs Wed 08-Feb-17 13:53:26

You would be better off working if you can, but yes I think you can claim Income support if your husband cannot work due to ill health. The rule for claiming child tax credits is changing after April 6th this year. you will not get tax credits for a third child, however if you already have just one child and this pregnancy is twins you should be ok to get tax credits for all 3. however if you already have 2 kids then I'm not sure you will get tax credits for the twins if they are born after April 6th. You maybe able to claim maternity allowance once you go on maternity leave as long as you met the criteria.

Babyroobs Wed 08-Feb-17 13:56:48

Sorry I just re=read your query and saw that it is contributions based ESA he is claiming, so I'm not sure if you can claim IS on that. How long has he been claiming it for as I think it only lasts a year until he would go onto Income based ESA .

Babyroobs Wed 08-Feb-17 14:05:00

I think your husband may need to be claiming PIP or DLA for you to qualify for Income support, it's confusing !! Or you could ring citizens advise as they would be able to advise.

MumofthreeandBean Wed 08-Feb-17 16:34:12

He gets pip aswell atm.
I have 3 children and twins due May so miss out on extra income that wat

MumofthreeandBean Wed 08-Feb-17 16:35:18


Sixisthemagicnumber Wed 08-Feb-17 16:46:27

Hi mumofthree. My understanding is that you can claim carers
Allowance and income support of your husband is on the higher rate of PIP.
If he is on the lower rate and is assessed as fit for work and placed in the work related activity group (once his contribution based period ends) of esa then I'm not sure you will be able to claim ESA.
You also won't be able to claim any tax credits for the twins if they are born after APril 5th due to the new 2 child limit rule (but you will continue to get tax credits for the older 3 children regardless of whether you are working or getting income support).
There is some good info on the entitled to website and a calculator which you can use to see what your financial situation will be if you cannot return to work after the twins have arrived.

Sixisthemagicnumber Wed 08-Feb-17 16:47:11

^^not sure you will be able to claim income support.

AndNowItsSeven Wed 08-Feb-17 16:49:54

As pp says yes you can claim carers allowance and income support . That's on standard or enhanced pip daily living .
What date in May are you due? your twins will almost definitely be prem to some degree.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Wed 08-Feb-17 16:50:17

How long has he been claiming it for as I think it only lasts a year until he would go onto Income based ESA

Depends what group you are in. If if is the support group, it lasts as long as the award does.

Babyroobs Wed 08-Feb-17 16:53:41

I think the work related activity group is being disbanded in April. It sounds like your dh will be in the support group anyway.

Sixisthemagicnumber Wed 08-Feb-17 17:06:28

The info you need is here and it looks like you can claim income support and carers allowance as your DH is getting PIP.

MumofthreeandBean Wed 08-Feb-17 17:14:51

Hi six

Thanks again all x

He is in the support group and enhanced pip at present.

Twins due 29th may, pretty sure they won't come 7 weeks early - hoping not anyway.

I have filled in all the forms for maternity allowance but I'm not sure whether it's worth me posting them to find I will be worse off than if I just close my business now and go on income support until twins are at an age when I can start up again - my heads in a spin with it all

Babyroobs Wed 08-Feb-17 17:19:46

I would go to CAB and get a proper benefits check done to see what will work out best for you.

Sixisthemagicnumber Wed 08-Feb-17 18:22:39

Defo need to get a benefits check. If you claim the MA you will be entitled
to working tax credit as you will still be classed as employed. You can also deduct £100 per week from your MA when calculating your income for tax credit purposes. Based on that the amount you will receive in working tax and child tax
Credits might be more than you would get if you switched to carers and income support (as you will lose the working tax elements).

MumofthreeandBean Wed 08-Feb-17 19:04:13

I really hope I can continue working once twins are here, I need my 'me' time

I will contact CAB
thankyou everyone

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: