Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Help with child care cost.

(12 Posts)
babyapril Mon 06-Feb-17 18:10:19

It looks like my school hours ( in a school job) will be no more. Mainly due to cuts etc... unfortunately l need to work & my youngest in only eight. We are not well off and l will need help with the cost of holiday child care - if l am unable to secure a job during term time again.
How does it work? I don't even know what options are open to me? Thank you.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Mon 06-Feb-17 18:12:47

Are you entitled to children tax credits? they can go towards it. Unfortunately holiday childcare is a massive expense, my 9yo DD goes to holiday clubs in the summer and it is roughly £200 per week shock

DP and I cover most of the other holidays with all our annual leave, rarely have time off together. It sucks but that's the way it is unfortunately

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Mon 06-Feb-17 18:13:52

Oh and make sure you keep a week of annual leave aside for covering time off for when your child is ill unless you have family to help or can afford an emergency Nanny etc.

babyapril Mon 06-Feb-17 18:27:41

Thank you. We do receive tax credits. I will look into claiming them. I can't believe l'm not entitled to any unemployment. I read that as my husband works more than 16 hours , l can't get anything?

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Mon 06-Feb-17 18:31:10

This is the info re-job seekers allowance. Have a read and see if you can claim it whilst you look for a new job.

Artandco Mon 06-Feb-17 18:36:56

How many weeks holidays do you and Dh get per year? Use most alternate so you only need a few weeks

Ie 11 weeks school holidays per year. If you get 4 weeks each, you could cover say 6 weeks between you alternate, 2 have off together. Then only 5 weeks care divided by 52 weeks cost wise

babyapril Mon 06-Feb-17 19:32:11

Thank you both. I just don't know what to do with holidays as l've only had the same as my daughter till now. I will check that link smile

Babyroobs Mon 06-Feb-17 19:57:39

You should be able to claim contributions based job seekers allowance if you have paid national Insurance contributions.

Matilda1981 Mon 06-Feb-17 19:59:51

As a parent you are entitled to 4 weeks unpaid leave so depending on your salary might be a better option than paying for childcare!

babyapril Mon 06-Feb-17 20:15:44

That is helpful Matilda. Is that the case in any job?
Thank you Baby. I keep reading conflicting facts. I think l should dedicate a bit of time to work out what to do. My job ending came as a bit of a shock!

HainaultViaNewburyPark Mon 06-Feb-17 20:19:22

You typically need to have worked for your employer for 1 year before you are entitled to take unpaid leave. Perhaps your husband can take unpaid leave whilst you work during the qualifying period.

babyapril Mon 06-Feb-17 21:05:19

Yes, Hainault. Possibly. He has been there five years. Definitely worth considering, especially as it may work out more cost effective. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: