Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Selling a 3.35ct diamond - any jewellers around with up to date (buying) price lists?

(10 Posts)
fabulousathome Sat 04-Feb-17 18:39:35

Can anyone give me advice please?

I have a diamond ring with a large diamond (it was a gift) that I want to sell to give the money to DS1 and DS2 for property.

I do not know how much I should be thinking I will get for it.

It's details are:

A single brilliant cut round stone
3.35 cts
colour H
Clarity VS2

I have two pieces of paperwork, both from a Hatton Garden jeweller. One, from 2004, says Trade Replacement £23,500. The other from the same place and from Dec 2011 says Trade Replacement £40,000.

I do not know what "trade replacement" means. My Dad, who bought the ring was an old friend of the jeweller that sold it. The jeweller is still there and I can possibly sell it back to him.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what Trade Replacement means and what sort of price I would get for it if I walked into the same jewellery shop next week?

Would I be better off to sell it through a famous auction house in London? I just want to get as much money as possible for it. It's very beautiful but it's expensive to insure and I don't wear it. Thank you.

elfonshelf Sat 04-Feb-17 21:41:47

Unfortunately the resale value for diamonds is only around 30% of retail. They should never be considered an investment item.

Low retail on that size and colour is around $52k.

Your best bet if you want to sell it is either to see what kind of deal the original jeweller will give you, or via auction to the general public.

ImperialBlether Sat 04-Feb-17 21:44:31

Oooh can we see a photo?

fabulousathome Sat 04-Feb-17 23:27:39

Photos:

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 04-Feb-17 23:37:38

Oh wow,what a sparkler!

ImperialBlether Sat 04-Feb-17 23:40:47

They're both gorgeous!

Whatthefoxgoingon Sun 05-Feb-17 10:21:57

Lovely! Sadly you'll only get 20-30% of the replacement value when you sell. Second hand diamonds have a poor resale value.

Whatthefoxgoingon Sun 05-Feb-17 10:23:21

By all means try the auction houses. It's a good quality stone in a vintage cut.

fabulousathome Sun 05-Feb-17 18:32:27

Thank you all. I'm going to buy myself something from QVC so I don't miss it too much but really, beautiful as it is, it is a good way to give my DC some money and the person that bought it has now passed away.

fabulousathome Tue 07-Feb-17 23:59:10

So today I went to a very famous West End of London auction house and the expert said I should expect between £15k to £20k at auction. There are lots of fees to take off plus VAT on the fees. It was slightly disappointing but I guess they know what they are doing.

I will see what the jeweller who sold it will give if he wants to buy it back at a higher price!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now