Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Alcoholic husband and joint account

(6 Posts)
mouse12 Sat 04-Feb-17 02:09:21

Hi, does anyone know if I can stop my husband accessing our joint account, or remove myself from it without his agreement. I don't want my credit rating to be affected if he spirals into debt if I have my salary paid into a different account. He isn't working at the moment. Thanks in advance.

UrethaFranklin Sat 04-Feb-17 11:18:08

You cant I don't think, not without his agreement anyway. Is the account in credit at the moment?

dementedpixie Sat 04-Feb-17 11:23:51

It is easier to close a joint account (unless it was set up with both parties to sign) than to remove a person from it. Does he only have your money that he can access? Would you be better off having sole accounts?

ImperialBlether Sat 04-Feb-17 11:32:59

You could open a new account in your name, empty the joint account and tell the bank not to allow an overdraft on it.

That way he's limited to what he can do with the account.

dementedpixie Sat 04-Feb-17 11:37:42

But if he gets into unauthorised overdraft e.g. By using a debit card/contactless card then OP would be liable for it too. Better to just close it tbh

mouse12 Sat 04-Feb-17 19:26:06

Thanks everyone - that's what I suspected. Yes, it's in credit at the moment, but I don't want him spending the money (my wages) on alcohol. Will try and get it closed. Thanks again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now