Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

My Dp's wages,

(19 Posts)
Aloveheart Mon 26-Feb-07 16:20:40

My dp did alot of overtime over nov/dec/jan

and he got paid a nice wage in january

Now they are saying that they over paid him didn't tell us how much buy and this wage they've took all the overtime back and additionall hours he's done and left us with not even his basic salary. Can they do that?? Cause the don't seem to know what they are doing> i am so cross.

Aloveheart Mon 26-Feb-07 16:24:17

bump

Aloveheart Mon 26-Feb-07 16:32:43

Anyone??

peanutbutterkid Mon 26-Feb-07 16:41:58

Talk to CAB.

Aloveheart Mon 26-Feb-07 16:43:10

yeah i will if they don't sort it out. thanks

kslatts Mon 26-Feb-07 16:48:39

They are not allowed to deduct it without your dh signing to say that he agrees with the deduction. If he hasn't signed anything it is classed as an unlawful deduction and they need to pay it back to him, if he hasn't signed they also lose the right to deduct it at a later date.

S88AHG Mon 26-Feb-07 16:50:17

Is it all detailed on his wage slip overtime extras etc? I would ask them for the figures in writing, which they should provide, seems very unfair to me, defo speak to CAB good luck

Aloveheart Mon 26-Feb-07 16:52:22

Thanks alot for that. All he was told was that they 'might' have overpaid him, wanted his payslip which we didn't give them they should have there own copies. They haven't made him sign anything, he hasn't signed anything they just did it.

Basically we over paid you... nothing else and then wham off his wages this month.

Aloveheart Mon 26-Feb-07 16:53:51

It was on payslip, but they took it all back. and he hasn't had jan's overtime either they work a month behind.

Eddas Mon 26-Feb-07 17:04:16

That's very unfair, if they've overpaid that much they should allow you to pay it off over a few months especially if it was their fault.

Make them tell you how the error ocurred and explain the figures etc and tell them they cannot just take it all back this month as they have left you in a financial nightmare, which I assume it would have.

Do you know if he should have had all the pay in the first place?

Aloveheart Mon 26-Feb-07 17:07:12

Well dp did do alot of overtime, so didnt think twice when we got payslip just thought that was what was due him. Yes it has made things tight, and dp is trying to sort it out as we speak but i just wanted something to throw at them, yes would be bettter for them to take it back little by little. They seemed to have really mucked it up. I thought they had to tell him they were taking it not just do it. We do have kids to consider.

S88AHG Mon 26-Feb-07 17:10:52

Might be worth having a look on moneysavingexoert website as there are some good forums on there and some really knowledgeable people who may be able to help you

Aloveheart Mon 26-Feb-07 17:11:54

oh yes hadn't thought of that thanks,

Eddas Mon 26-Feb-07 17:16:37

They would definately have to let you know before doing it especially as it's left you without his basic wage.

Do you keep a record of the overtime he does, or rather does he. You cannot rely on employers to get everything right and I would check every payslip to make sure he gets the hours he's done. My work added our xmas vouchers to our pay in January(should've taken them off aswell!!!) so i'm down this month too. When they told me I just laughed and said well i could've told you that but you haven't given me my payslip yet!! And i work for a frim of accountants, they should know better!

Fingers crossed for you. Surely they should have paid Jans o/time in feb too so i'd be asking where that is

Aloveheart Mon 26-Feb-07 17:23:19

Yep I know, i haven't been logging his hours down and nor has dp. Should have really. Will do in furture. Well because of the overpayment he's lost his overtime for his month too.

Eddas Mon 26-Feb-07 17:27:59

Make sure you do, but still keep on at his employer re taking it all back at once. and get an explanation as if he did do some overtime then you want to know how much they've clawed back and therefore how much he still got paid for IYSWIM. Also try to get them to realise that taking it back all at once has left you in trouble. I'd overexagerate if you need to. 'i can't pay the rent/mortgage now' etc as they have been very unfair.

HTH

Aloveheart Mon 26-Feb-07 17:29:27

Yes thanks it does help. I will do because i think it's so unfair, what annoys me is that my dp worked his arse off helping them becuase they were short staffed and they treat him like that.

Eddas Mon 26-Feb-07 17:38:30

Don't think employers think about anyone else, just their profit. Make sure you update this thread when you get a decision

Aloveheart Mon 26-Feb-07 19:27:26

Yeah i will do. Grrrr thanks for your advice though. cheers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: