Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Benefits for ill-health retirement couple

(3 Posts)
Walnutshell Mon 26-Feb-07 13:38:19

My dad has been battling cancer for the last 5 years and about 2 years ago was retired from his job early with a lump-sum and pension. The amount he receives in pension apparently means he is eligible for absolutely no other benefits, like a reduction in council tax for example. So my parents now manage on less than £1000 each month. I cannot believe that if he received just a bit less from his pension, he would be entitled to benefits which would then far exceed their current income - surely there must be some sort of sliding scale?

Just wondered if anyone had any experience of this before I give up. Thanks.

(Note, the lump-sum he receieved would have been 3x higher if he had been able to work for another 2 years as he would have been able to take voluntary early retirement.. he has worked for the company for over 30 yrs with barely a sick day. Ain't life great?)

TheBlonde Mon 26-Feb-07 18:55:45

If you know the details you could try entitledto to see if there is anything they could claim

Walnutshell Tue 27-Feb-07 13:40:42

Thank you. Unfortunately it seems to be the case that if you spend all your life working, spending moderately and not getting into debt and then suffer with an illness likely to be due to the type of work you undertook, you are stuffed. Who says crime doesn't pay?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now