Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Child tax credits after separation

(30 Posts)
jigfoot1979 Sat 28-Jan-17 19:17:31

Hi, I have separated from my husband and as a result my children who are 15 stayed in the house with him. I pay child maintenance in the form of buying all of their food and clothes etc and going to the house to cook for them every day. I have looked into child tax credits, my ex doesn't qualify for them as he earns way too much but I do qualify and although at the moment while I'm looking for accommodation the children don't stay with me (as soon as I find somewhere it's intended they come to me to stay a few nights a week) the tax credits would help out a lot towards food and clothes. I'm currently spending the same as I was on them and doing everything I was before ...just not sleeping there and now obviously on a massively reduced income. Am I able to claim? .... I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense, it's a fairly unusual situation that I'm in

reallyanotherone Sat 28-Jan-17 19:19:42

No. I think only the resident parent can claim, or there'd be a lot of divorced dads entitled too.

Akire Sat 28-Jan-17 19:27:27

In this situation I would apply if the children are going to be with you least 50% of the time. From the sound of it unless you can get tax credits you can't afford a bigger place so that will never happen?

Why are you providing all food clothes and housework if their daddy is theory has them. Dosnt sound strictly true if you are doing far more of the care. If he's on a decent wage why isn't he feeding them? Child maintence would only be about 15% of your income how much are you paying now?

jigfoot1979 Sat 28-Jan-17 19:30:18

Yeah I thought as much but was just wondering as he can't claim and one of us can....if I'd be allowed to. I would obviously not be able to if he was already claiming. I suppose most of the time the woman is in the home claiming the tax credits and that's why divorced dads can't.... but their dad earns too much to claim .

jigfoot1979 Sat 28-Jan-17 19:33:35

Akire, he asked me to leave and I did. Staying with friends but wanted to keep their life as normal as possible so have kept on doing what I did. When I find somewhere it'll be much easier but when I'm in that place (I wouldn't claim until I had somewhere) even if it's only three nights a week they are with me could I claim?

Reality16 Sat 28-Jan-17 19:34:15

You won't qualify as hey are with their dad. Unfortunate as it is.

Weird comment to make about divorced dads not getting them because women are in the house though hmm.

Akire Sat 28-Jan-17 19:34:40

Seroously though it sounds like all that happened is if you moved out, still doing all the work and have much less to live on. Can you work more hours or are you only part time because you are doing childcare after school?

EggnogChai Sat 28-Jan-17 19:36:14

Who claims the child benefit?

jigfoot1979 Sat 28-Jan-17 19:39:04

No, that was just response to another comment but it didn't mean to sound like women should get the monet, just having difficulty explaining. No I work 50 hours already, I go to them after work and cook for them. I just wanted to find out because I didn't want to get into trouble for claiming so that's helped - thanks all

jigfoot1979 Sat 28-Jan-17 19:41:07

Child benefit is in my name but I put it into his account

EggnogChai Sat 28-Jan-17 19:48:36

You should be transferring that over to his name as you aren't their main carer, you'll also not be eligible for CTC for the same reason.

jigfoot1979 Sat 28-Jan-17 19:49:47

I do transfer it to him - thanks for your help

EggnogChai Sat 28-Jan-17 19:50:58

No I mean the claim you aren't entitled to child benefit with your current circumstances

AndNowItsSeven Sat 28-Jan-17 19:53:07

Transfer it to his name not the cash. Why did you move out and not your ex?
You can claim ctc and CB but only once the dc stay 50/50.

jigfoot1979 Sat 28-Jan-17 19:57:32

Yeah ok well I'll do that now....I know it's for them that's why I've been giving it to him. Sometimes when you find yourself without a home, things take a while to figure out. Thankfully there are supportive people who can just offer advice without being flippant. I'm trying my best to do my best for them- just struggling a bit at the moment. It'll get sorted though I'm sure

jigfoot1979 Sat 28-Jan-17 19:59:12

AndnowitsSeven thank you I might call the benefits office to enquire ... just didn't want to get into trouble

Reality16 Sat 28-Jan-17 20:00:32

You would be better with welfare rights people than benefit office

jigfoot1979 Sat 28-Jan-17 20:02:38

Welfare rights? I see women's aid do you think they would know about that? I've never heard of it

Reality16 Sat 28-Jan-17 20:07:36

Your local council will have a welfare rights team - ours come to the health centre 2 days a week to make it easy to access their help. THRey are the bees knees on benefits and entitlement and will be able to not only tell you what you can and should claim but they will fill out the forms if you need them too also. We used them for a PIP claim for a neighbor and they were very informed

jigfoot1979 Sat 28-Jan-17 20:09:39

Reality16 thank you so much ill find them and get started. Thank you

AndNowItsSeven Sat 28-Jan-17 20:13:40

Op I know you are giving the money to them. I wasn't criticising you at all just would want you to inadvertently commit benefit fraud.
It doesn't seem fair that way you are being treated at the moment either financially or emotionally.

jigfoot1979 Sat 28-Jan-17 20:17:19

Thank you AndnowitsSeven I'm trying to change the details on it now. It does go into his account it's just in my name so I'm changing it now. I have no idea what I'm doing lol and I want to get it right but want to afford it too . Thanks again

GreenGoblin0 Sun 29-Jan-17 09:00:18

OP how many children do you have?

once you have your housing sorted how many nights a week will the children stay with you?

JerryFerry Sun 29-Jan-17 09:09:11

What would your preferred situation e? Kids full time? Kids 50:50? Another scenario?

Because if you want them to live with you at least part time you will need to find a place with at least two bedrooms. Of course this will be quite expensive... do you have any way of coming up with the money? Because once you're set up and having the children to stay, presumably you'll be eligible for tax credits and therefore able to afford the home? Or might you be entitled to a payout from your ex as you have left the family home?

GreenGoblin0 Sun 29-Jan-17 09:27:11

the reason I asked is because if it will be 50/50 and you have two children you could each claim for one child meaning you could then claim tax credit obv it would only be based on one child though

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: