Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

DWP compliance interview

(13 Posts)
P1napple Sat 28-Jan-17 10:18:37

Hi all
Never had one, nor heard of one. What should i expect from a dwp compliance interview?

I've been in receipt for CT/WT credits and HB but not council tax benefit, for approx 3 yrs. I do have a bf we haven't officially moved in together, but were planning to start of the new tax yr (April) there have been occasions where he has stayed over more than the 3 nights per week recently due to a massive change in my children's life, their father died unexpectedly and suddenly a few mths ago and waiting for an inquest for his death. my daughter (10) has health issues (heart problems) which isn't recognised by the state so with that and her dad she's had a lot to deal with for such a young person and has been receiving counselling for, so he's been here not just for my support but there's also naturally it's been very distressing for us all.
Bills all mine I receive no financial help from him what so ever, he lives with his parents and has since his previous relationship ended. I'm presuming this is the reason why I have been called.

I do have some savings and recently from receiving exs pension as we are still married which was approx £5k. As we are heading towards a move in, I've tried to be very sensible and use this money to pay existing debts so I have a clean slate and use the rest to pay for child care as I have no one else for support. Could also the reason be because of this payment? It has taken me over the £6k savings limit but only by £800. Yes I probably should have notified them but that will be gone in the nxt few wks as i still have those depts to pay. Could that also have been flagged?

I've seen lots of ppl mention an interview with caution mine dosent day caution, it says notification of customer compliance interview to discuss your housing benefit.to bring ID and bank statements which I'm happy to do.

so just some advice wud be great, what to expect etc. I'm not a scabby money scoundrel just try to plod along and give my children everything they utterly deserve.

fedupoffeckingschool Sat 28-Jan-17 10:52:24

It could be because a large sum of money went into your account, try not to worry

gamerchick Sat 28-Jan-17 10:58:26

Well the 3 nights a week thing is a myth, as long as he has nothing linking to your address.

I think the large amount of money is what's going to screw you. 800 quid over or not.

gamerchick Sat 28-Jan-17 10:59:51

Just take all your paperwork, stick to facts and no sob stories. They're not interested.

Ifailed Sat 28-Jan-17 11:11:50

is the £5k a death in service award? If so, it is not taxed as income, however it is taken into account when calculating benefits, certainly the armed forces death in service award is.

P1napple Sat 28-Jan-17 11:24:33

No it was just a pension he had when we were first together. It was a private one paid in it for only about 2 yrs that's why it's such a little amount. he wasn't in forces of anything like that just your normal average jo bit hasn't worked in 4 yrs due to illness

Ifailed Sat 28-Jan-17 11:50:12

Ah, then like others say, its probably because you've gone over the £6k limit. Just be honest, and explain how you came by the money.

P1napple Sat 28-Jan-17 11:59:28

That's exactly what I was thinking. I have all the paper work and his death certificate. I'm certainly not driving around in a flash BMW or a 690k mansion very quite the opposite.
Shame that it's come to this, try to sort myself to get off the benefits in the first place. Utterly crapping myself and have barely slept. The meeting is 2 wks away yet.
I'd just like to know what to expect

ems137 Sat 28-Jan-17 12:09:42

Try not to worry, I had one of these too and was literally worried sick. It was on my mind constantly. On the day they were due to come round I waited all day, by 4.30pm I called the number and they said "oh it's ok we can see everything is in order, it's all been updated!"

If it's to do with boyfriend it's not necessarily the amount of time he spends there, it's whether you live your life "as a couple". Do you go shopping together? Does he collect/drop kids off places? Does he attend appointments with you? Does he pay anything at all?

I can't help with the money side but all I can think of is how would they even know about the £6000 in your bank? They don't have the facilities to log into everyone's bank to check how much cash they have. I'm on benefits but I'm selling my car next week so £12000 will appear but only for a few days til I get another one.

BTW my mum died last year and left me £10000 to specifically buy a good quality car before anyone says anything.

P1napple Sat 28-Jan-17 12:28:53

He's picked my children maybe twice?! 1st day was when I found out their dad died and the other wk when his own child had to have a day off school. That's a really tricky question!! He's my bf, of course and naturally do things together and with both of our children he also has 2. On the official stay over days I guess we wud be classed as a couple I do pick his children up from school his children and mine are at the exact same school, makes sense, I'm there anyway and helps financially we both can not afford after school clubs. I work school hrs it's that simple really.
As mentioned above we were going to move in April together the new tax yr should be no over payments etc etc. Fresh start.
The bills are all mine, nothing is in his name, nor do I get any money from him no bank transfers nothing, dosent pay for our food. Bank statements prove I shop in supermarkets. He has stayed over more than he shud especially when we found out their dad had died, we all struggled I found it difficult and he supported me.
I hate being an honest person seems the honest ones are doomed, yet the ones who claim for greedy purposes never get caught!

gamerchick Sat 28-Jan-17 13:10:52

Um ems you do know the dwp don't give a toss where large sums of money come from and where it's allocated dont you? If you're over you have to declare it.

You're playing a dodgy game there

gamerchick Sat 28-Jan-17 13:13:17

OP if you say all of that detailed stuff in the meeting they'll think you have something to hide.

Don't give overdetailed answers, keep them short and factual.

TreeTop7 Sat 28-Jan-17 16:42:45

It's probably the £800. Government compliance departments have links to banks and building socs. At the moment HMRC is receiving information from them in respect of people who may need to be paying tax on interest, for example. You'll probably have to pay back any relevant benefit you've received since you went over 6k, plus interest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now