Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Self assessment - any accountants out there

(3 Posts)
Secretsout Thu 26-Jan-17 20:11:10

Can I have a bit of advise. Been doing hubby's SA return for years. Every year he gets a whopping bill of around £3000. I'm going to get an accountant to look at it properly but need to file this return before Tuesday. My question is this....

Hubby does business miles. Employer pays fuel back at 19p per mile. So in his SA I record that he has received £1,710 in expenses payments (based on 9,000 miles done). I then record that he incurred travel costs of £4050. He's a higher rate tax payer and always gets stung for the 'expenses' he has received - when it isn't an expense really??

Is this the correct way to do it? Or do I miss off the fuel payments received and just claim his costs back.


TalkinPeace Thu 26-Jan-17 21:21:23

that mileage will not be generating that bill - you need an accountant

ordinarylives Fri 27-Jan-17 07:50:09


If you let me know details on his p60, ie gross pay and tax deducted, p11d info (if any), his tax code at 5th april 16, and anything else that is going on his return i may be able to help

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: