Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Childcare vouchers and mat leave

(7 Posts)
anyname123 Thu 26-Jan-17 14:46:17

Hello, any help really appreciated. Putting everything in order to go back to work, and DD will be in nursery so will make use of the salary sacrifice childcare vouchers. Plan on hopefully ttc about a year after return to work, does any clever soul know what the deal is with childcare vouchers and second mat leave? I'm eligible for occupational and stat mat pay, will the fact I'm having vouchers really reduce my mat pay second time round?
I know it's all a long time off but I don't want to sign up to something that will be really detrimental down the road.
Thanks

holepunchkid Thu 26-Jan-17 16:28:12

It reduces your pay by the amount of your vouchers during the qualifying period. In theory you could opt out of them for the qualifying period.

Magstermay Thu 26-Jan-17 22:38:54

As you know it will reduce your salary and therefore any mat pay linked to your salary. However, I only got SMP but my employers continued to pay the childcare vouchers so i effectively got an extra £243 a month grin. Worth considering if you want to continue with nursery during mat leave.

anyname123 Fri 27-Jan-17 16:29:30

Thanks both!
Magstermay, I've heard of this, but then heard then the High Court or some such said that employers didn't need to do this anymore. I'm too scared to ask HR incase they tell my boss I'm looking to ttc again confused

Nicketynac Thu 02-Feb-17 22:29:48

I buy the vouchers and "paused" them during my qualification period. I did this through the voucher company and it was straightforward. I restarted them after this,p time, then paused them again during my mat leave.

NewBallsPlease00 Sat 11-Feb-17 11:20:23

Hold on!!
If you already participate in salary sacrifice voucher scheme once you're in smp you cannot have salary deducted for vouchers- the company has to pay them for you!

anyname123 Tue 14-Feb-17 11:59:58

newballs, thanks for that, my issue is that I get occy pay as well as SMP (very lucky I know), and I wondered how it will effect the Occy pay side of things

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now