Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Where has all the money gone?

(11 Posts)
kvardek Wed 25-Jan-17 10:00:52

My daughter moved schools in September and she had some money left in her 'Parentpay' account. Dinner money for a couple of weeks that she hadn't used and unused breakfast club money. A total of £25.35. I asked the school to refund the money in person and by letter but didn't hear anything so after a few weeks I sent an e-mail and was told the money had been sent to the catering company. (The breakfast club has nothing to do with the school dinners). The catering company have the e-mails from when I cancelled the meals so it's unlikely they have the cash.
Four Parentpay advisers have looked into it and have each reported the money is in the school bank account. They have sent me the paperwork that appears to support this.
As I have gone through this process I have uncovered more and more cases of money going missing in 'paperless' schools. Only small amounts but of course they all add up.
I was wondering if this is just limited to my local area or nationwide?
I don't want to get anyone into trouble but it just isn't right!
Any advice?

Afterthestorm Wed 25-Jan-17 13:11:34

I don't know the details but a friend of mine had a nightmare with Parentpay saying she owed money that she didn't. She spent a whole morning figuring it out, so sadly this is not un-heard of.

bimbobaggins Sun 29-Jan-17 17:00:41

When my ds finished ps he had about £15.00 balance in his pupil pay account and despite going into the school and phoning the money was never returned.

kath6144 Sun 29-Jan-17 19:04:54

Both mine left our local high school last summer. School supposedly closed their lunch accounts, but I was still getting monthly emails from the catering company.

After a number of emails to both school and catering company, neither of whom wanted to help, I found out in early Jan that the school didn't even use that company any more. Apparently my DC were not taken off the system properly, however only school could give permission to do that, but school obvs weren't interested when the DC are no longer pupils in that school.

For me it wasn't about the money, there was only about £3 left on the accounts in total (although anything should be refunded) but about the fact my kids details were still on a company database somewhere. In the end I sent a facebook message to the catering company, the contact took it to their IT manager, and agreed to close down my kids accounts without school giving permission. Fingers crossed I wont get emails on 1st Feb, certainly I can no longer log into their accounts, which is hopeful!!

I dont understand why schools are happy to set up these electronic payment methods, but then have no interest in closing them down properly, giving refunds or sorting out problems when they arise.

TreeTop7 Sun 29-Jan-17 22:27:38

The tech revolution has been brilliant but sometimes I think that certain things are better done the old-fashioned way. I'd happily give my children "dinner money" every day if it meant not having to deal with Parentpay and the school office ever again.

kvardek Sun 29-Jan-17 22:36:19

Another mum at my daughter's old school said that her money disappeared when Parentpay changed their website. At a nearby school a parent transferring her daughter has lost her money too. I have all the paperwork now but who do I show it to?

RustyParker Sun 29-Jan-17 22:49:11

Write to the Chair of Governors at the previous school?

GwenCooper81 Sun 29-Jan-17 22:54:06

My eldest's works fine ( secondary). My youngest is a nightmare. Her balance is £75.09 or something ridiculous. She has lunches most days and if she has a roast on a Wednesday I'll send the £2.00 into school.
Never ever have I put that amount in her account. I'm half tempted to try and use it for her residential! grin.
I wouldn't mind but I had a semi snotty text saying I owed four quid the other day. I give up lol. Sorry not much help I guess!

kvardek Sat 04-Feb-17 19:54:47

I wrote to the headmistress and the chair if governors but I didn't receive a reply.
This week I will try writing to the Burser, in charge of the school's money again.
Last time I sent an e-mail so I will try a letter this time. I can also send the paperwork showing the money which is still in rhe old account.

kvardek Tue 14-Feb-17 14:35:47

Hi,
Getting nearer.
The school contacted me and are hoping to speak to the catering company.
Progress.............?

Funnyonion17 Tue 14-Feb-17 15:01:11

Schools are nightmares for this. I over paid roughly £5 for dinners in the last term of 2016 for one child. He's now entitled to free meals as in reception, yet I never received a refund. Eldest DS is in year 4, so I pay for his meals. They actually rang me once to say I owed about 50p, yet no mention of the money they owe. I should say something really out of principle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now