Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Student Loans Co chasing an old paid debt, sent bailiffs round...urgent

(11 Posts)
CaniStopBeingaStudentPlease Sun 25-Feb-07 09:31:24

Hi all, I hope some-one can give me some advice on how to handle this.

My partner took out a student loan in 1997 for £1500. He paid it off in full at the end of 1999/beginning of 2000, cannot remember the dates, cannot remember if it was one or a few installments, as he had other loans.

He received a letter about two months ago from SLC saying that he had an outstanding balance of this amount. My mum then passed away so the letter was not dealt with. My DP did not think it oo urgent has this had been paid and was obviously an admin error.

However last week he received a letter from a credit agency saying he owes £4,500 and that he had to pay immediately. He did not call them, decided to write a letter, again thinking it was not too urgent (he does not do 'urgent'). However two days ago, less than a week after this second letter was received, a card was posted through the door saying a representative had been around and he was to call a number to avoid further action. Did not say what it was for, or to do with. He called them and it was this credit agency, sending round the bailiffs! He told them that he had paid his original debt years ago.

Since 2000 he has had no contact with or from the SLC, no letters to say outstanding balance, so request for payment that he needed to deal with. As it is so long ago, he has no record of payment, or proof of the total debt he originally owed. The bank which he paid from was closed as he took out a 'grown up' account. He was under the impression, as was I, that records did not need to be kept that long, so we both only keep records for max 3 years (or else we would be awash with paperwork!).

Is there anything he can do? How can he sort this, as he cannot prove he paid, and they are saying he does. The credit agency has suspended the account for a week as DP said he will get advice.

CaniStopBeingaStudentPlease Sun 25-Feb-07 09:33:21

oh and also, the company he allegedly owes £4,500 to is not SLC but called Student Loans Ventura? (not sure of exact name as my DP has letter with him) but it is not exactly the same? Not sure if that is relevant.

TheBlonde Sun 25-Feb-07 09:37:23

Can he request copy statements from the bank?

Try posting on forums too

CaniStopBeingaStudentPlease Sun 25-Feb-07 09:41:12

Can you request copy statements from an ac that closed years ago, for a period that was 6-7years ago?

CaniStopBeingaStudentPlease Sun 25-Feb-07 09:44:45

will also try the web linkn you said about...

CaniStopBeingaStudentPlease Sun 25-Feb-07 09:52:36


CaniStopBeingaStudentPlease Sun 25-Feb-07 10:02:33


ivelostmyboobsboohoo Sun 25-Feb-07 10:06:22

yes you can req copy statements for a closed account as i did it with barclays for claiming back my fees on account.

PavlovtheCat Sun 25-Feb-07 10:08:28

I know you can claim as far as 6 years, they will do longer. Great. I will get him to try that.

yacketyblah Sun 25-Feb-07 10:13:41

Doing this quick as I'm on my way out. God I HATE debt collectors and their tactics.

There's loads of info on and advice I'm pretty sure the bailiff is only a threat to get you to pay up. They can only actually come round once you've got a CCJ against you. Double check all this on the above sites and also

You can send something called a SARN (subject Access rights notification I think). This is a data protection type document asking any organisation to provide you with any paperwork they have about you. There may be a charge, usually less than a tenner. GTG, god luck!

ravenAK Sun 25-Feb-07 23:52:23

If there's been no contact for 6 years they can't collect it.

There's a debt forum on consumer action group site (yes, I know I keep plugging them) which will give you a template letter.

Doesn't matter whether your dh has paid it or not, actually - it's 'statute barred' & cannot now be enforced.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: