Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credits stopped payment.

(6 Posts)
EnterNicknameHere Tue 24-Jan-17 09:59:16

Hi, I am on full tax credits with 3 children with special needs, one who receives dla. My other son received dla until may last year which I hadn't informed tax credits off as I thought my tax credit award was based on previous years income/circumstances. So I got a letter in November from tax credits saying that my award would be amended as I am no longer entitled to the disability premium and I would have to pay back any overpayment.
So today I had no tax credit payment at all. Spoke to someone at tax credits who said I now wouldn't be paid at all till April. Can they do this. I will not be able to survive with 3 children with no tax credits at all. Is there anything I can do. I don't work.

EnterNicknameHere Tue 24-Jan-17 10:01:59

Sorry, I have 3 children, 2 who have special needs.

EnterNicknameHere Tue 24-Jan-17 10:28:32

MycatsaPirate Tue 24-Jan-17 10:32:04

I think you can ask them to just reduce payments over the next year rather than taking it in one hit.

Ring them and ask them how you can go about doing it. There should be a number on the back of the letter you received where it explains about how to appeal their decision due to financial hardship.

EnterNicknameHere Tue 24-Jan-17 10:40:41

Thanks for your reply. I haven't received the decision letter from them yet. The person I spoke to today said there's nothing they can do but I could speak to my caseworker and gave me the number, but no one is answering unfortunately.

SmellySphinx Tue 24-Jan-17 10:46:01

I'm not sure what you can do other than to call them back and explain the situation. How are they expecting you to survive with barely any money? I presume your childrens circumstances haven't magically changed!!?? The financial hardship route will take forever, you have to call them then they send you out a form to fill in - this takes about 2 weeks turn around. I can't see why on Earth they have stopped your payments dead with only one warning. They usually amend something after asking for your feedback. I do get tax credits but nothing including dis elements or whichever terms they choose to use this year, it always seems to be changing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now