Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Should I get a FULL REFUND from ARGOS for this???? Advice Please

(9 Posts)
drosophila Sat 24-Feb-07 20:47:16

Last weekend went to Argos and bought a vacuum cleaner. It was a well known brand and cost £100. I bought it mainly cos it had a hepa filter and as DS has asthma I wanted a good vacuum cleaner.

Anyway took it out of it's box and I was surprised at how flimsy and tacky the plastic was. I decided to use it as looks can be deceptive. It was not very good at sucking up and what I really disliked was there was a ton of dirt on the head (static I guess) which you would need to vacuum off but there was no appropriate head supplied.

DP took it back to Argos and they said that as we used it their 30 day refund policy didn't apply and the product was not faulty. The woman even argued that her vacuum did the same thing.

I looked up trading standards and according to them you can expect goods to be:

Of satisfactory quality.

This means the goods must meet the standards that any reasonable person would expect, taking into account the description, the price and all other relevant information. In some circumstances, the retailer may be liable for any statement made by the manufacturer about the goods.

Satisfactory quality includes the appearance and finish of the goods, their safety and durability and whether they are free from defects (including minor faults)

Fit for the purpose

that goods of this type are generally sold. They must also be fit for any specific or particular purpose made known to the seller at the time of the agreement.

As described

- goods should correspond with any description applied to them.

Do you think we should go back there and argue that the above?????

fizzbuzz Sat 24-Feb-07 20:52:03

Yes. I teach consumer rights at A level. It is note of satisfactory quality or fit for purpose.

Sale of Goods act (can't remember date) Also it is up to them to prove it is not fit, not you.

Argos are a pile of crap, and so is their customer service! Stand your ground!

Contact Trading Standards who may intervene on your behalf

drosophila Sat 24-Feb-07 20:55:59

Thanks fizz. So if I say it's crap do I need to do anything to prove it? TO some people a pile of muck on your head is fine but to me it's not cos I never have experienced it before. I have had expensive and cheapo vacuum cleaner before and never have I seen this.

DO wants to wait to speak to Trading Standards but I want to wade in there tomorrow with a print out from their site. DO you think any value in speaking to someone?

BettySpaghetti Sat 24-Feb-07 20:57:34

I recently took a game back to Woolworths (Freddy and His Flying Fish, like Elefun) and asked for a refund/exchange because it was basically rubbish and didn't do as it said on the box/instructions (fan wasn't strong enough to blow the fish out).

The manager was a little taken aback I think but let me swap for something else.

I think that people don't tend to go back if a product doesn't meet expectations but as fizzbuzz said, you are within your rights to do so.

FrannyandZooey Sat 24-Feb-07 21:05:34

Yup, I have done this at Argos. I rang first and explained that I wanted to return the item under the terms of the Sale of Goods Act as the product was not fit for purpose. I was told I would have to come in and ask for the manager, which I did. She sorted it all out very quickly, there was no problem except she wasn't exactly cordial.

fizzbuzz Sat 24-Feb-07 21:13:06

Yeah, I would talk to Trading Standards first. But you don't have to prove anything, that is up to them.

They may argue and lie, because all that stuff about them proving only came through in 2002 (Amendment to sale and supply of goods act 2002...just showing off now!)

Good luck

drosophila Sun 25-Feb-07 10:46:19

Thanks guys!!! Wish me luck.

Darciesmum Sun 25-Feb-07 17:59:33

I think you should argue it yes. i know i would. esp if i parted with £100 i'd want the product i brought to work.

drosophila Mon 26-Feb-07 16:11:34

Spoke to tradong standards today and they said that it is very subjective. I am going to attempt to get a full refund tonight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now