Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

£200 in pension pot from short term employer - can I cash in?

(4 Posts)
maggiethemagpie Mon 23-Jan-17 09:11:52

I have £200 total value in a pension pot from an employer I was only employed with a few months.

Seeing as it's such a ridiculously small amount, it seems silly to have it sitting there for however many years until I retire.

Is it possible to cash it in now, I know i will lose some value due to taxation but I'd rather have it now than keep it seeing as it's such a ridiculously small amount.

I know I can cash in pension at 55 but I'm only 40 btw!

Sunseed Mon 23-Jan-17 16:06:47

Find out what the scheme rules are. Many will say that if you have made less than a certain number of monthly contributions then you can take a return of those contributions. Tax relief will be deducted accordingly.

Alternatively, have it transferred to another pension plan if you have one.

emmab250 Mon 23-Jan-17 21:18:50

You can take a refund of contributions if you left the scheme within the last 2 years but you cannot take the full value of the pot until age 55.

saltydogandme Tue 24-Jan-17 15:02:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now