Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

letter from debt collectors- advice needed pls!

(8 Posts)
flipflopper Sat 24-Feb-07 19:20:49

Recieved a letter this morning saying we owe £76 to Huchison G3 mobile phone, for call charges and if we dont pay they will cut the phone off.

This is nothing to do with us, we have never had anything to do with this company, we had to google them to find out who they were.

We have never had any correspondence from this company before, this is the first we have heard of it.

We will be phoning them in the morning, but just wondered if anyone could help with where we stand with this?

bubbles4 Sat 24-Feb-07 19:33:29

am i right in thinking that you dont have a mobile phone with this company because if you dont they cant cut the phone off.could it be that the company you have your mobile phone with have been taken over?

misdee Sat 24-Feb-07 19:35:41

if you dont have a mobile with them how can they cut it off?

i get a v threatening demanding letter the other month for someone who doesnt live here and has never lived here. I had to phone up and tell them as it was a lot of money and i didnt want it assiciated with my address.

Carmenere Sat 24-Feb-07 19:37:38

Make sure it is not a premium rate phone number.

flipflopper Sat 24-Feb-07 20:21:41

We dont have a mobile phone with G3, we are both with O2, we are thinking it is ID theft, someone has opened a mobile phone contract in dh's name.
Been looking online and it seems you need to log it with the police, but need to phone debt colectors in morning.

Sure it is a genuine debt agency as I have dealt with then before, but we have long cleared our debts

what a pain in the a** we could do without!

evenhope Sun 25-Feb-07 13:00:06

Please be careful with this. We had a 3 phone and they decided we owed them so many months rental even though our contract had expired and we'd written to them. They referred us to a debt agency who were on the verge of blacklisting us for credit (for £48 we didn't even owe). I was just going to ignore it but somebody told me I could end up with a CCJ. In the end we got the mobile shop to pay it but I'm still really angry about the whole thing. The shop said they are notorious for this sort of thing and conveniently "don't receive" the disconnection requests.

Aloveheart Sun 25-Feb-07 13:05:45

Go to the cab if you dont' have any luck ringing them.

flipflopper Sun 25-Feb-07 17:15:34

My dh rang them this morning and it seems that they are looking for someone with the same name as my dh, they said to him 'did you used to live in londonderry?' and is 29.4.75 your DOB?'

They seemed to accept pretty quickly that they had the wrong person, but wouldnt write us a letter to say so, we wanted to have it in writing, but they said we wouldnt hear from them again.

Still just want to check his credit file to make sure there is nothing on there!

Thanks for your replies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now