Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Old share certificates

(3 Posts)
Figure17a Sun 22-Jan-17 16:55:12

About 20 years ago I had a short period where I made some small investments in shares. I have a dozen or so certificates from that time but I don't really know which are still of value.

Some of the companies probably don't exist anymore, having been taken over, but that could mean I have shares in the new company, or (more likely?) I received a cheque at the time of the takeover.

For those that do exist, there are multiple certificates, does that mean additional shares have been issued to me or that the new certificates are replacements?

How can I find out what I actually own?

TalkinPeace Sun 22-Jan-17 18:16:23

All registers are now electronic.
Your best bet is to contact each of the companies by email
- send your message to the admin HQ for the attention of the Company Secretary
Give them your name and date of birth and address as at the time of investment
OR
look them up on companies house and see if under the filing history, your shareholding shows
here is an example
beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/00233462/filing-history

McGriffo Sun 22-Jan-17 19:32:42

You're probably best contacting the share registrars:

www.londonstockexchange.com/traders-and-brokers/private-investors/private-investors/stock-markets/registrars/registrars.htm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now