Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

bank charges

(4 Posts)
CKMUM Sat 24-Feb-07 13:31:26

i know there are some draft letters on certain websites but wondered how to go about claiming back money if some ahve already been refunded but you don't know which ones.

last year i went in tomy bank to find out why two charges each for 35 pounds had gone out, they spoke to the manager and then refunded one of them, as they were sae amount same reason i don't know which one was refunded so on the letter i write how do i refer to the one that wasn't refunded, as i don't know the date etc

thanks

Ladymuck Sat 24-Feb-07 13:34:09

Have a look at the moneysavingexpert site. Tyoically I think that they suggest that they first write to you bank to get details of all charges that have been applied to your accounts, so you would get the amounts oand dates of charges that you are querying.

foxybrown Sat 24-Feb-07 13:34:34

try www.moneysavingexpert.com
it has step by step guide and draft letters. I'm just doing mine now, have 6 years worth of bank statements from barclays and 1st d. Not actually as much as I thought, but am going to claim anyway.
Good luck

foxybrown Sat 24-Feb-07 13:36:55

banks keep statement details for last 6 years and are obliged to provide them. i sent a cheque for £10 which was returned by both. then you go through and tot it up, copy the letter inserting the amounts and wait, i guess. It recommends opening another account incase your bank closes yours. Theres something in todays Guardian Money on how to do it too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now