Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

HOW DO I BUY A C AR?

(26 Posts)

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cece Sat 24-Feb-07 09:35:38

You would have to check with the co whether they would take a credit card. I have always got a loan first.

You choose and negotiate on it one day and then a few days later you get to pick it up. Gives you time to sort out insurance etc.

CanSleepWontStarve Sat 24-Feb-07 09:36:06

Are you looking to buy brand new, or used (makes a diff to some of my answer)?

cece Sat 24-Feb-07 09:36:14

Remeber all prices are negotiatble too

WideWebWitch Sat 24-Feb-07 09:40:10

Right:

Work out what's important to you and then do some serious research, decide what car you want. (i.e. is it safety/environmental friendliness/mpg/size/what? that's important)

Don't put it on a credit card, that's mad. Shop around and get the lowest rate loan you can. DO NOT accept showroom finance, it will be stupidly expensive in most cases.

Be prepared to haggle big time with salespeople and walk away if they don't give you what you want (within reason).

Look at lots, don't be pressurised into buying anything.

Don't buy new, the depreciation is a ridiculously high percentage the minute you drive it away. Even a year old will get you a substantial discount without much loss of car.

WideWebWitch Sat 24-Feb-07 09:52:58

Do the maths, you'll see why a loan at the best rate you can get is better than a card.

charliecat Sat 24-Feb-07 10:03:30

link{http://www.nethouseprices.com/index.php?con=soldprices_street_detail&locality=ASHFORD&town=ASHFORD&street=LYNSTED+CLOSE&postcode=tn235ry&search_radius=150&cCode=EW&year=&house_style=&house_age=&house_type=&find_postcode=&find_locality=&find_town=&findstreet=&eastingToSearch=59980&northingToSearch=14080&pcsaCode=TN23\MONEY SAVING EXPERT} might lead you to a cheap loan..

JolieGirl Sat 24-Feb-07 10:04:08

Why would you not use a card if you get one with a 0% rate for new purchases? Or put it on an existing card then transfer it to one which offers 0% on new balance transfers. MILES cheaper than any loan. If you can't pay it off within the interest free period then move balance to another with 0%. Simple.

charliecat Sat 24-Feb-07 10:11:52

ooops and that was house prices....sorry..will go fetch it again...

charliecat Sat 24-Feb-07 10:14:06

MSE loans

or chat forum for 0% credit cards

or here

bran Sat 24-Feb-07 10:40:16

You might find that the dealer will add a charge if you pay by credit card (1% or so) because he will have to pay a percentage to the card company. You might be able to arrange a loan today, check out some of the finance comparison sites like Moneysupermarket.com or Moneyexpert.com and see if you can find a couple of reputable companies that do car loans and then phone them today.

I hope you find one that you like.

evenhope Sun 25-Feb-07 12:55:34

We bought a used car in June from a garage and they didn't take cards at all! had to get 2 bank drafts.

Kelly1978 Sun 25-Feb-07 13:09:44

I had to put part of the cost of a car on my credit card once, and I got charged a ridiculously high fee, I'm sure it was more than 1%. Definately arrange the loan beforehand. THen you buy the car, arrange insurance and then collect it. You will also need to buy the tax on the same day too.

Judy1234 Sun 25-Feb-07 13:36:12

In the last two weeks we bought two. Incredibly bad luck - 15 year old Volvo had terrible faults and then the second car same thing - engine gone. In one case we found one at a local garage and paid cash. In the other she bought it on Ebay and then collected it today with the cash. But if you're buying something really expensive that is not feasible.

charliecat Mon 26-Feb-07 11:24:08

when you are looking for insurance try confused.com and elephant.com....they caeck a load of insurers for you, all in one go.
And they also tell you who they dont check so you could look at those yourself.

Cappuccino Mon 26-Feb-07 11:27:01

go to more than one dealership

they will all offer you different rates

listen to their offer and then say 'ooh they offered us this much at thingy' if it was less and see if they will beat it

we saved over a grand this way

maretta Mon 26-Feb-07 11:33:03

We wanted to buy a car on credit card once but they didn't take them. Think it was Ford.

The finance offered by the car companies can be worth looking into, often they do x months at 0%

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now