Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Mortgage - what if you don't declare dependants

(15 Posts)
inmyshoos Fri 20-Jan-17 09:10:00

I know this is perhaps fraudulent however i am also sure there are many fathers out there who dont pay for their children and don't mention them on their mortgage application.
My stbexh is having problems getting a mortgage because he works two p/t jobs. One permanent and one on a fixed term contract. If he declared no dependants he would probably be able to borrow 'just' enough to move out, with the deoendants mentioned he can borrow 40k!! Which means continuing to live together.
He can afford a mortgage. He can afford to pay maintenance and will .

Would it have terrible implications if he just didnt mention dependants on his application form?

Trills Fri 20-Jan-17 09:12:09

You;re still living with your ex, and he is suggesting lying on a mortgage application in order to be able to afford to move out?

Just rent somewhere.

inmyshoos Fri 20-Jan-17 12:01:38

I can't move. He has to. There is nothing nearby to rent. We live very rurally. He needs a mortgage. We are just trying to find a way to make this happen. Lots of people get credit cards etc with incorrect information re employment status etc. I know its not honest but as long as he can make the mortgage payments does it really matter.

VimFuego101 Fri 20-Jan-17 12:04:27

Have you spoken to a broker to see if they can suggest a lender who doesn't use the number of dependents in their calculations?

GinIsIn Fri 20-Jan-17 12:07:03

Afraid it's not perhaps fraudulent, it IS fraud. I think try to find a mortgage broker who might have access to more suitable products.

humbugcentral Fri 20-Jan-17 12:21:41

Yeah it's fraud. He should contact a broker/s to see if there are any other suitable mortgages available. I'm sure there are. My broker found me a mortgage and I work p/t and am a lone parent at a good interest rate

specialsubject Fri 20-Jan-17 12:29:11

fraud does tend to come back to bite you big time.

there is always an honest solution. Tell him to look for one.

or he moves further away. If this is the UK I find it hard to believe that it is more than 20 miles from a town.

inmyshoos Fri 20-Jan-17 14:14:24

special i'm not sure why you find that hard to believe? Unless you are only looking at the south. I think you will find that a huge geographical area in the north can be much further from a town. As it happens we are 26 miles from a town but i can't force him to want to move there and he wouldn't be able to afford a rented property there anyway!
If there was an easy solution to the problem I think we would have thought of it by now.
It's a horrible desperate situation and we are trying to find a way forward.

NerrSnerr Fri 20-Jan-17 14:33:03

Won't they realise as they'll want to see his bank statements and the broker will ask about the maintenance? They'll want to know what the monthly money is for.

It is fraud and he'll be in much more shit if they find out and the bank withdraw the mortgage and he needs to sell up.

SillySongsWithLarry Fri 20-Jan-17 18:38:17

If your ex is moving out and not taking the children with him he won't have 2 dependants. He will have to pay maintenance but it wouldn't be fraudulent to not declare them.

ImYourMama Fri 20-Jan-17 18:41:27

I'm a qualified mortgage adviser, hypothetically you can do what you're suggesting, realistically the bank don't care as long as the mortgage is paid and they have security of the property.

2 things to consider

If you receive child benefit, child tax credit or have anything at all on your bank statements to suggest you have children, you will not get away with this

If the mortgage is defaulted on, he could be prosecuted for fraud

namechangedtoday15 Fri 20-Jan-17 18:44:56

A dependant is a child who relies on you financially. He has 2 children and therefore has 2 dependants.

A lender will check the validity of information and associations - they are likely to have information about your address which will show there are 2 children. They will therefore know he's not been truthful and in all probability would refuse to lend. Once you've had one mortgage refused, he will struggle to get another one.

inmyshoos Fri 20-Jan-17 21:47:36

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

All child benefit stuff goes in my account not his. He doesnt pay maintenance yet as still paying mortgage in our home where we still both live!
Going to see an independant mortgage advisor. It's only a problem because of the fixed term contract but he is also seeing the mortgage advisor at tsb Monday and thry said 2yr fixed contract shouldnt be a problem. Fingers crossed!

m0therofdragons Mon 23-Jan-17 00:04:12

But I thought only one parent has to claim dependants. E.g. If dh and I remortgage the form asks for dependants but says they should only be attributed to one parent. By that logic, if dc stay with you then they are your dependants and he'll pay maintenance (usually a pittance) which is asked about later in the form. Clearly maintenance and dependence are seen as different things when it comes to mortgages. Explain your situation to a broker or nationwide advisor (they've always been very good ime) and see what they say but I think there's a loop hole.

Twopeapods Mon 23-Jan-17 22:35:01

We went through a broker and as we were buying but as DH as a single applicant, the broker found a mortgage that didn't ask if any dependants. It was Halifax. I only had one year accounts so I couldn't get a mortgage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now