Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

NI contributions

(3 Posts)
russetbella1000 Thu 19-Jan-17 19:48:41


Just checked my NI record and it looks surprisingly 'intact'(I thought they'd be many more gaps etc...

However, there is a gap of four years for when I did my degree.

Is this right? I naively thought if it was a first degree etc then there might be some kind of 'allowance'. Anything I need to know? I know you can buy 'years' but to be honest didn't realise studying would mean I'd need to?

Any experts out there?

dontcallmethatyoucunt Thu 19-Jan-17 20:03:10

You need 35 years (currently) to get a full state pension. If you can achieve that before retiring (66, 67, 68?) then you are ok under current rules. You can buy certain years, but it isn't always possible, or even desirable. If you are entitled to buy any they usually tell you on your statement.

russetbella1000 Thu 19-Jan-17 20:11:52

Ah ok cool, thanks 😉

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: