Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Debt not on credit report.

(9 Posts)
hyacinthwannabe Thu 19-Jan-17 19:43:54

I left an abusive husband in 2009. We had a joint mortgage on a house and he told my Parents at the time he was selling the house and that sale only just covered the cost of the outstanding debt on the house. Since then I have had zero contact with him. I was fearful he would find me so I changed my name and moved far away.

Recently I met his Sister when I was back at a family members funeral and she said he'd actually just abandoned the house and had moved a few times since then.

My new partner said I should check my credit file as if he did this will be really poor for my score.

It's not on my file. It was done in 2010. The mortgage isn't showing up at all on my score. I checked on Noodle. Is there a better more comprehensive company to use?

Why would it not show?

Eggsbutnobacon Thu 19-Jan-17 19:47:15

As far as I am aware if no payments have been made towards a debt and you have not communicated with the company then the debt drops off your credit report after 6 years. Which means it will have dropped off last year sometime. It doesn't mean you don't still owe the money, just that it no longer shows up on a credit report.

Whisky2014 Thu 19-Jan-17 19:49:30

Debts drop off your report after 6 years. But that doesnt mean you dont owe the money. Although, id have thought house debt would have gone to coure and youd have ccjs.

kawla Thu 19-Jan-17 19:49:50

After 6 years it is statute barred so if they haven't contacted you about it in those 6 years then you do not owe anyone anything.

TheVeryHungryDieter Thu 19-Jan-17 19:58:20

What everyone else said. Your credit file only goes back six years so won't show anything before Jan 2011.

However if you left without anything the mortgagee could well have decided it wasn't worth going after you and only pursued XH for the debt. They don't HAVE to go after both parties but they will if it's worth their while.

hyacinthwannabe Thu 19-Jan-17 20:06:00

Ok. So what should I do? Should I ignore it or should I call the mortgage company. Surly if we want to get a mortgage in the near futre that will be affected?

Whisky2014 Thu 19-Jan-17 20:20:45

I think you might be ok to get a mortgage. But maybe get your exes sister to tell you in detail what actually happened?

GreenGoblin0 Thu 19-Jan-17 21:03:07

If it's not on your credit report (would also check experian and equifax as most credit agencies use these rather than noodle) then the mortgage company won't know unless you declare it in the mortgage application...

Allthebestnamesareused Thu 19-Jan-17 21:16:02

Possibly they repossessed the property sold it and cleared the outstanding mortgage thus it wouldn't show as a debt anymore?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now