Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can anyone help with tax?

(9 Posts)
Crankycunt Thu 19-Jan-17 14:57:39

I have a friend, who in 2014 got a second job in addition to her full time job.

Her full time job earned her 22,300.
Her second job £600.

Both her payslips for that time have tax codes on them. She thought she was paying tax, and everything was above board.

The second job closed down, so she stopped working there.

In 2015 she was sent stuff about self tax assessment, she thought it was an error and thought nothing more of it.

Then the letters about fines started coming through, she phoned HMRC and spoke to various people who have told her that because she didn't fill in a self tax return, she is liable for the tax and fines.

She has since found out that the people she worked for in her second job put her as self employed. She wasn't aware of this and thought she was an employee.

She's just trying to get her head around this, she can't seem to get a straight answer with regards to paying the fine, she can't afford to pay in a lump sum, so is there a possibility of getting an attachment of earnings? Or payment plan?

She also didn't get a P60 for the second job, so she's a bit stuck there too.

Can anyone anyone help us get our heads around this? Or offer any advice when talking to HMRC?

Lunar1 Thu 19-Jan-17 14:58:57

Has she got the wage slips showing the tax payments on?

Crankycunt Thu 19-Jan-17 15:12:51

Yes she has, she's got pay slips showing the tax code, and payment.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Thu 19-Jan-17 20:04:57

Try the CAB, they can usually assist

StarOnTheTree Thu 19-Jan-17 20:16:59

Tell your friend to copy the payslips and send them to HMRC with a letter detailing what you've told us.

If she does have to pay then it might be possible to add the debt to her tax code or if not then a payment plan can be set up.

Did she get a P45 from that job?

TalkinPeace Thu 19-Jan-17 22:12:41

An employer cannot "put you as self employed"

If she was given a payslip with a tax code, she was an employee

HMRC do not randomly send out tax returns

there is some missing information on your friend's part

TreeTop7 Thu 19-Jan-17 23:08:45


This is what I suspect happened: the second job gave her a tax code as if it were her sole job. Insufficient tax was deducted. HMRC systems picked it up at year-end and she was sent a calculation and payslip which she ignored. A second payslip was sent 3 months later, also ignored. At that point HMRC put her into self-assessment (it's not only for self-employed people) and sent her a tax return which she ignored. Now there are penalties.

She needs to file the return. She is legally obliged to. There is no way around this. After she has filed, she can then contact HMRC to arrange a payment plan if she meets their criteria (she won't get one if she has savings).

She'll need both P60s in order to complete the return.

CAB can help her complete it but they won't be able to make it go away.

MirandaWest Thu 19-Jan-17 23:10:51

What was the tax code for her second job?

StarOnTheTree Fri 20-Jan-17 08:14:33

What Tree said makes a lot of sense. OP advise your friend to complete that self assessment return asap before she incurres more charges against the debt.

If you tell us the tax code for her second job as Miranda suggested then we might be able to tell you why she underpaid her tax that year.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: