Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Should I receive benefits?

(11 Posts)
justanotheryoungmother Mon 16-Jan-17 21:34:23

Hello everyone,

This may be long-winded but I'm going to try and explain it as best as I can to get the most helpful responses smile

I'm currently pregnant with my first (24 weeks) and I have finished my A Levels, was meant to go to university but got pregnant. My DP has recently moved into my mum and her partner's home with me, and has had a job, but gave it up to live with me. He's looking for a job but hasn't had success yet.
I'm currently pregnant and I wasn't employed at the time of faking pregnant as I was meant to be going to university, so it's not the case of having a job and then leaving. I have looked but didn't see the point in starting a new job now when I'd have to leave for maternity leave in a few weeks. I would work if I could find temporary work, but most places want permanent employees.
DP will eventually get a job, however the income will be questionable, as he has work experience but no formal qualifications, and I don't know how that'll affect what job he will get.
I'm currently doing an NVQ online to become a qualified teaching assistant, so that when DD comes, I'll be able to get a stable source of income. But I am planning to breastfeed (if I can) for the first year, and thus will likely be a SAHM. My mum said she'll financially support me as much as possible but she has two small children and we live in the south east, but are having to relocate as she cannot afford the mortgage she currently has on her income, so it's not as if she has lots of disposable income.
I am not someone who doesn't want to work and expects the government to pay for me to do anything, but I genuinely believe breastfeeding will give the baby a better start, and she is going to be my priority. As soon as she's weaned off that, then I'll happily look for a job and arrange childcare, but until then, would it be a good idea to enquire about claiming benefits? I'm not sure how much I'd even be entitled to, as I still live at home, and thus have no bills to pay, but should I look at what I could get or not?

Thanks for any advice smile

shakeyospeare Mon 16-Jan-17 21:38:26

Your boyfriend needs to get a job. You should be looking to bring some money in, even if it's not a lot. If your mum is already struggling, how is it fair for her to provide for you and your boyfriend and the baby when it comes?

I have my suspicions about this thread.

Pluto30 Mon 16-Jan-17 21:39:48

I am not someone who doesn't want to work and expects the government to pay for me to do anything, but I genuinely believe breastfeeding will give the baby a better start, and she is going to be my priority.

Lots of women breastfeed and work. The two are not mutually exclusive.

I have no knowledge of what, if anything, you'll be entitled to. But I'd be encouraging your partner to seek work more than he appears to be. Why did he give up his job to live with you? Was that necessary? He couldn't have kept the job and moved in?

Pluto30 Mon 16-Jan-17 21:41:33

I also agree with the first poster that it's not fair on your mum to not only have to support herself and two young children, but to now have to support you, your baby, and your partner, when he (at the very least) is capable of working.

If she cannot currently afford her mortgage payment and has to relocate due to that, it's quite awful for her to then have to provide for three more people.

justanotheryoungmother Mon 16-Jan-17 21:41:53

Replying to one at a time:
Had to leave because I live 600 miles away from where he is from smile

justanotheryoungmother Mon 16-Jan-17 21:43:31

Her husband works too, I did mention it's her and her partner's house, but before the baby, she wanted to move because my grandparents do too and it's a close family, so they want to move west, where it's a lot cheaper, but yes, they do struggle with the mortgage. However, I've never asked her for money, she insists on helping out.

EggnogChai Mon 16-Jan-17 21:43:56

You can apply for Income support, child tax credits and child benefit.

justanotheryoungmother Mon 16-Jan-17 21:44:11

DP has only been here for a week and is looking for a job, I did say he was looking smile

EggnogChai Mon 16-Jan-17 21:47:17

Sorry you'll need to claim JSA on a joint claim until 11 weeks before your due date then go on income support

Ellisandra Mon 16-Jan-17 22:06:26

You've still got 16 weeks to go, and he's had more notice than that... what on earth was the baby's father doing quitting his job before lining up another one locally with you?
Are you planning to move again with your mum?

I think CAB can help you understand benefits you might be entitled to.

Babyroobs Tue 17-Jan-17 20:11:07

Try to get some temporary suitable work through an agency, lots of women work until a few weeks before giving birth. You do not need to breastfeed for a year and as others have said it is possible to express. Whilst your baby is small you can consider working around each other so that you can cut down on childcare costs, this is what me and dh have done for many years. If when you are both working your income is still low ( below £26k) then you will get child tax credits which will help boost your income.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: