Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

private rent when husband leaves

(16 Posts)
Jjjdm Mon 16-Jan-17 20:20:57

hello my daughter lives in private accommodation with her husband so the rent is capped and she pays extra £20 a week towards she works part time
and lives of £100 a week after paying towards her rent etc
but her husband has left the property and she knows if he's left for good she will have more money to pay for rent is there any other things she can claim to help with the rent moving back home to parents is a no no she has no kids

LIZS Mon 16-Jan-17 20:24:42

Single adult council tax reduction. If there is only her there now her lha/hb will be revised to reflect that. He may still be liable to pay if named as joint tenants on the lease. When can she give notice? Can she look for a room in a shared house instead.

Jjjdm Mon 16-Jan-17 20:31:31

cheers lizs but I'm sure she dont wont to do shared house

LIZS Mon 16-Jan-17 20:34:44

Then she will probably need to work full time and pay the difference. Are there any cheaper/smaller properties to rent?

Jjjdm Mon 16-Jan-17 20:38:24

also she inquiring on google about a divorce but theres no legal aid no more and her take home pay a month is £545 before tax mothly will she get a divorce for free or does she have to pay

Artandco Mon 16-Jan-17 20:40:33

I would say she needs to move somewhere smaller.£550 a month is a very small household income

Jjjdm Mon 16-Jan-17 20:42:55

where she works there no option of full time work

LIZS Mon 16-Jan-17 20:46:11

A second job?

Ellisandra Mon 16-Jan-17 20:47:44

Then she needs to move.
No children or husband to tie her to an area that has no full time work opportunities for her.
As a low earner it may well be that the lease is all in his name - which is good for her being able to avoid any financial responsibility for that.

Why can't she come back to you for a bit? She's going to need to save for a deposit, and house share is possibly her only choice on a low income.

I definitely would tell her to move somewhere with better job opportunities.

AgentProvocateur Mon 16-Jan-17 20:48:34

She hasn't got many options:
Work full time
Get a second/third job
Move into a house share

If she has no kids, she's mobile enough to move for work.

Jjjdm Tue 17-Jan-17 13:34:12

i know she doesn't wont to do shared house i think she's a bit pissed because he's left and for a divorce it going to cost her so her heads in bits at moment easy option would be to give up and move back home but she is 28 years old

Ellisandra Tue 17-Jan-17 14:15:14

There's nothing wrong with the easy option when you have something awful like unexpected divorce!

28 may feel old to be at home, but 28 is too old to expect benefits to top up a part time work lifestyle!

She doesn't need to divorce immediately, but when she does the fees are waived for low incomes - check for details.

GreenGoblin0 Tue 17-Jan-17 14:29:41

if there are no assets or children involved the divorce will be pretty low cost.

lots of people have to move back home even for a short period. unless there is a reason (eg a disability) as to why she can't work more hours she will need to look for a second or new job as PP have suggested.

Blueistheneworange Tue 17-Jan-17 14:33:15

Also she won't pay tax on her income at the moment because it's below the threshold

Jjjdm Tue 17-Jan-17 14:39:35

Thank you for all the replies this is hey I love this forum there is loads of advice from pp

Ellisandra Tue 17-Jan-17 14:46:11

Here is the low income help bit!
There's no help towards solicitor fees but if there are no assets then a solicitor isn't always needed. But make sure she doesn't rush that - people forget sometimes that pensions are an asset, for example.

Also - the person who files for divorce pays the fee. She might want to sit back and let him do the filing wink

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: