Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

My Fault or Theirs (Tax Credit)?

(7 Posts)
irishmum Fri 23-Feb-07 14:02:25

Looking back at a "statement" from tax credit I recently discovered that ds2 isn't mentioned from Sep 05,when he was born,until February 06 when I started a joint claim with my partner!
I phoned the helpline who said there had never been any telephone records of me advising he'd been born?WTF?What did they do,guess?It's my 3rd child,I know how it works....
Anyway,I just got a letter to say case closed it was too long ago,no back date of pay.Can't understand how I didn't notice before now,but do I take it further?

Muminfife Fri 23-Feb-07 14:34:30

Message withdrawn

Mumpbump Fri 23-Feb-07 14:37:31

Take it further. If they say that it was too long ago, ask them to send you the paperwork where it states that there is a short time-limit to claims. Assuming there isn't anything, they will then have to concede there is no time limit and let you make a claim for back-payments.

SparklyGothKat Fri 23-Feb-07 14:45:48

They can take money back if it was a while back and they realise they made a mistake, so why can't you??

irishmum Fri 23-Feb-07 14:45:54

Apparentley i signed some S1 form or something saying all info was correct,but I'm sure it's been years n years since anything has had to be sent back to them?Everthing seems to be done over the phone..They can't tell me when they "found out" about ds2 either???!
Thanks for the replies

ThisFrogIsGonnaWhoopYouAss Fri 23-Feb-07 14:49:06

They're a bunch of idiots - we're currently refusing to pay some money they claim we owe them because they cannot tell us how they came up with the figure they quoted......i personally think it's a random number generator.....

irishmum Fri 23-Feb-07 15:03:35

I've claimed for 7ish years,and only in the past 2 had ANY problems!
"random number generator" -lol.
I've written a letter of complaint saying how upset I was,like they'll give a damn!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now