Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Bailiffs came and took the family car yesterday morning

(129 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

shitwithsugaron Mon 16-Jan-17 10:47:06

I just want to curl up and die.
Car is in DH's name and since having DD and me going back to work part time we just could not afford the repayments. They did allow us to drop the monthly figure but it still wasn't enough.

We've also had issues with the direct debit itself and have been trying (and failing) to rectify this for ages.

It culminated in them coming for the car yesterday morning with a court stamped order and them saying a solicitor will be in touch. I am so worried I feel sick to my stomach.

We had absolutely no warning they would be coming. Should we have been warned and given a chance to offer any sort of payment we could afford?

LIZS Mon 16-Jan-17 10:53:47

I doubt it was a complete shock to dh. There would have been default letters and a court session. Might he have buried his head in the sand? What other bills are you behind on?

tickingthebox Mon 16-Jan-17 10:57:36

you (your DH) would have received lots of calls and letters about this. You need to work out where they went, and if there are any other surprises.

You do realise that if the sale of the car doesn't clear the finance (which they rarely do) you will be liable for the difference and the bailiffs will be back for more items from you?

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Mon 16-Jan-17 11:02:32

I agree, I'd say your husband has been burying his head in the sand.

shitwithsugaron Mon 16-Jan-17 11:02:57

If he was lying about it being a shock then he fooled me because he seemed absolutely as shocked and distraught as me.

Yes I do know we're liable for the full amount.

shitwithsugaron Mon 16-Jan-17 11:03:48

And thankfully nothing else is in arrears.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Mon 16-Jan-17 11:06:07

For them to have court stamped documents then it will have gone to court.

Your DH will have received notification.

LIZS Mon 16-Jan-17 11:08:10

He may have been in denial, just thought it wouldn't happen.

shitwithsugaron Mon 16-Jan-17 11:09:54

I just feel so so sick.

I'm also guilty of not taking any responsibility for our finances, and after this happened yesterday we spent hours going over our money situation.

We have £100 a month to live on, after bills and including food shopping and petrol.

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Mon 16-Jan-17 11:15:01

Is the car essential for getting to work? If not, that will save lots of expense.

Mollyringworm Mon 16-Jan-17 11:18:20

I'm afraid to say your dh has almost definitely ignored letters/calls. There would have been many chances to get this resolved before they take it to this stage - it's really inconvenient and expensive for the company to arrange for bailiffs and re-sell the car. It's in their interest to make every effort for you to make the repayments.
This happened to us years ago (my dh deals with all the bills and I knew nothing about it) so I understand that sick feeling although we always managed to make the payment before they took the car away (I have had a bright yellow wheel clamp put on our car on the driveway - I had to go and put a load of bin bags in front of it to hide it cos the neighbours might see)! It is a humiliating experience.
We now just buy cheap runabouts using cash - my dh currently drives a fiat he paid about £400 cash and a year later it's doing fine. Is this something u could manage instead of (I suspect) grossly overpaying for a car on finance?

throwingpebbles Mon 16-Jan-17 11:18:32

sad what a horrible moment.

Please get in touch with someone like stepchange and get some advice now

tickingthebox Mon 16-Jan-17 11:20:35

you need first to look at your outgoings:

Things to get rid of include
Sky tv/or TV subscription (revert to freeview until you are sorted)
phone contracts - again any you can get out of?
gym memberships
utilities - are you on the lowest payments, look at uswitch to check

get on moneysavingexpert.com for more advice.

if there has been court documents these WILL have been delivered by registered post and/or served (delivered in person) to your DH, so he WILL have known

throwingpebbles Mon 16-Jan-17 11:21:23

also check now for things like - any tesco /boots points etc saved up?

Could you up your hours at all? (Without increasing childcare costs?). I do compressed hours for this reason.

Bluntness100 Mon 16-Jan-17 11:21:33

Basically the agreement you will have signed at the time will have said they would repossess the car if you did not make the repayments. It sounds like they worked with uou to reduce the payments but also primarily the issue will be the payments were not made due to the direct debit issue. If you were not making the payments you should have contacted them and it could have been done by a payment transfer. Just not making them was always going to result in this.

There will have been communications that the payments were not being made, and a lot of communications, if it has been to court already. I'd try to speak to them now, find out who the solicitor is and take it from there.

Sorry this is happening to you, at least it's one less expense. 💐

CupofTeaTime Mon 16-Jan-17 11:21:43

If you have paid half or more of the cost of the car you do not have to pay any more once it's repossessed. We were in this position a few years ago and only had to pay about £150 once the car had been auctioned off to take us to half of the amount we had on the finance.

shitwithsugaron Mon 16-Jan-17 11:26:42

The car isn't absolutely essential for me to get to work I could walk, luckily I have a car I own that DH can commute in. What the car is essential for is getting DD to childcare so I can work.

My lovely lovely DM has agreed to lend us £1000 to look for a run around that will see us through.

We have switched utilities, knocked our Virgin Media package down etc, got rid of the landline, we don't do gym. All we do is every fortnightly take DD on days out, lunch out and so on. That's all we spend our little disposable wages on. I appreciate this will also have to stop.

The overwhelming fear and worry is that I know we are liable for the rest of the debt and I do not know how we'd go about paying for it.

throwingpebbles Mon 16-Jan-17 11:30:03

That's why you need to get in touch with stepchange . They can work through it all with you. They are a long standing and experience charity set up for these situations and they understand how easy it is to end up here and how hard it can be to see a way out. Please contact them.

cansu Mon 16-Jan-17 11:30:09

Maybe get car in your mums name and have her on car insurance. You dont want them to take this car to pay the remaining balance. Be careful and get some advice.

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Mon 16-Jan-17 11:31:36

I wouldn't bother with another car, that money your mother has kindly given, I'd use that to pay the debt off. In fact I'd get rid of your car too.

throwingpebbles Mon 16-Jan-17 11:31:54

What's your housing situation? If you have a mortgage could you go interest only for a bit?

Also, have you checked you are getting all the benefits you can claim? It may be that you can claim some tax credits which would help. Try the "entitledto" website ...will try and link in a moment!

Megatherium Mon 16-Jan-17 11:33:00

Court documents don't have to be sent by registered post or even recorded delivery.

LIZS Mon 16-Jan-17 11:34:16

Can you find more local childcare, ideally cheaper. Or dh has to drop off on his way to work. A second car is a luxury and your dm's money could be better spent on essentials.

Chippednailvarnishing Mon 16-Jan-17 11:35:12

Why do you need a second car, if one of you can walk to work? Why can't your DH take your DD to childcare?
Is virgin your mobile supplier? If not how long before you can end that contract?
I would be looking at going to work full time if I were you.

Bluntness100 Mon 16-Jan-17 11:35:57

Don't panic just yet, find out what is owed, they should work with uou to find a way for you to manage any repayments, contact the agency above and citizens advice bureau etc they will be experienced in these things.

The key thing is not to ignore it again, start acting now. Find out what you may owe , contact the agencies, then go back to them and work out a repayment plan with them.

Sending the bailiffs in is really the last resort that companies take and is really only done when all else fails, 😞

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now