Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Maternity allowance

(15 Posts)
Brussels1 Wed 11-Jan-17 17:59:03

Just a quick question how long do you get maternity allowance for??

AnotherEmma Wed 11-Jan-17 18:03:27

lmgtfy.com/?q=Maternity+Allowance

Ellisandra Wed 11-Jan-17 21:50:31

grin love that Emma!

flouncybeetroot Wed 11-Jan-17 21:51:20

I so wish you could like posts! grin

Brussels1 Fri 13-Jan-17 15:40:16

Haha. Very funny. Just wanted a little help not for someone to take the piss I'm finding this very hard and find myself extremely panicked as this is my first child and im struggling a lot with the maternity allowance. Just needed a helping hand not someone to come a long and make me feel worse than I already do. Thanks a lot.

AnotherEmma Fri 13-Jan-17 15:47:28

It was meant in a light-hearted and not a cruel way.

It is actually quicker to Google it than starting a Mumsnet thread!

However, if you wanted a bit of support and not just the answer to your question (which my reply did provide) you should have said so.

If you're feeling panicked, anxious and upset, I suggest you talk to your midwife or GP.

Manumission Fri 13-Jan-17 15:49:17

What's worrying you about it Brussels?

BobbieDog Fri 13-Jan-17 15:56:12

You get it for 39 weeks.

You can start it from 28 weeks of pregnancy

LIZS Fri 13-Jan-17 15:57:30

https://www.gov.uk/maternity-allowance/what-youll-get

Any help?

MummyPigLovesAppleSauce Fri 13-Jan-17 16:00:13

I get maternity allowance after leaving my last role before my eligibility for SMP kicked in ( was poorly with hyperemesis).
Any questions, ask away smile

Brussels1 Fri 13-Jan-17 16:01:19

I just don't appreciate your sarcie comment.

Manumission
As I have googled it and it says a lot of different things the first thing that comes up is

How much Maternity Allowance you're entitled to is based on how much you earn. You'll get 90% of your average weekly earnings (before tax) up to a maximum of £139.58 per week for up to 39 weeks (in the tax year 2016-17), or £27 a week for up to 14 weeks.

So I'm guessing I get £139.58 as my average weekly earnings are more.. So I get this for 39 weeks I'm guessing? But what is this last bit the £27 a week for up to 14 weeks?

LIZS Fri 13-Jan-17 16:05:07

It is either/or. Max. 39 weeks total. See the eligibility page https://www.gov.uk/maternity-allowance/eligibility

Manumission Fri 13-Jan-17 16:10:18

£27 pw is the rate that self employed people without enough NICs fl get.

£27pw for 14 weeks seems to be a fairly new thing for spouses/partners of self-employed people who have been helping out with the business unpaid.

So I don't think you have to worry about either of those.

If your NIC record is complete for enough weeks and your earnings are over the threshold, you'll get the full rate for the full 39 weeks.

MummyPigLovesAppleSauce Fri 13-Jan-17 16:13:12

The 14 weeks bit us for people who are self employed, I think.
Basically, if you have paid enough national insurance ( worked for 30 odd weeks in the last 60 months) then you get £135 a week, paid monthly, for 9 months.
You can apply at 28 weeks but it takes a few weeks (they will back date the money), so prepare for a few weeks with no money

Brussels1 Fri 13-Jan-17 16:16:21

Thanks manumission and MummyPigLovesAppleSauce that's really helped smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: