Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Personal Finance Software

(5 Posts)
gigi556 Wed 11-Jan-17 09:51:57

Posted this on another forum and didn't get much of a response...

My partner and I are expecting our first baby in May and we sat down over the weekend to look at our budget and finances. It's going to be super tight but we are pretty sure if we are smart about it, we can afford for me to take 12 months maternity even though I'm only going to get SMP.

I've used Quicken and other accounting software in the past, but it's been years and I'm curious what products people use or have used and like. We currently only loosely budget and have an excel spreadsheet. I want to be able to upload our account details so we can look at past spending more closely. I think this would be useful as it's easy to say we spend X on bills and utilities but I have no clue how much I actually spend on things like make up and clothing in a given year...

The software will need to be able to look at multiple accounts. We have a joint current account, separate current accounts, separate savings accounts, separate pensions and separate credit cards. We might open a joint savings. I have a couple overseas accounts which it would be useful to track as well but it's not essential. I definitely want easy syncing with my bank.

Thanks in advance!

TalbotAMan Wed 11-Jan-17 10:01:42

Microsoft used to sell a Home/Small Business program called Microsoft Money. They stopped selling it and supporting it about 5 years ago, but to keep the people who bought it happy made it free to download (www.microsoft.com/en-GB/download/details.aspx?id=20738). We use it fairly successfully.

Quicken is no longer sold here. I have seen people say that if you buy it from the US (amazon.com or download) it has the capability to work in other currencies, but have no personal experience of whether this is correct and if so how easy or difficult it is.

TalbotAMan Wed 11-Jan-17 10:12:40

If I'm allowed to cross-refer, I found this thread on MoneySavingExpert discussing various programs.

pinkunicornsarefluffy Wed 11-Jan-17 13:49:28

www.vtsoftware.co.uk/tranplus/download.htm

The above link is for a free cashbook software. You can set up as many accounts as you like and balance the bank accounts etc and analyse your spending. Obviously meant for business' but you could record your household expenditure on it the same way

floopyloopy Wed 11-Jan-17 18:46:40

I swear by YNAB. It has a 30 day free trial. I've been using it for 2 years and I love it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now