Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can I pick your brains? Again!

(9 Posts)
Creole Thu 22-Feb-07 14:16:28

I owe the student loans company roughly about £5K and have been paying them £50 a month for the past year now. Anyway, my child maintenance money has stopped and I'm unable to keep paying this amount but have offered £30 until things get a bit better. However, they have rejected this amount and said they can't accept it as it's well below what I'm suppose to be paying (£90pp).

I have set up the SO and payment will commence in march. What can they do?

BTW, I am above the threshold, but can't afford the payments as my outgoings are a bit high. I have filled in an income and expenditure form. But they are still insisting that I should increase the amount I pay from the liitle money I have left each month.


Creole Thu 22-Feb-07 16:36:27


expatinscotland Thu 22-Feb-07 16:42:09

Can you file a forebearance?

I'm not sure about here, but you could do this in the US.

Creole Thu 22-Feb-07 16:59:02

Have no idea what it means.

Just got home to a letter saying I have 7 days to pay the outstanding arrears or else...

clumsymum Thu 22-Feb-07 17:07:28


I suggest you take all the letters from them to Citizens advice tomorrow.

Someone there will be able to tell you what powers the student loan company has, but should also be able to mediate with them for you.

Obviously, the loan company think you have income which you don't have. They can't get blood from a stone ....

Creole Thu 22-Feb-07 17:26:19

The problem with the CAB is the time of day they are open, its impossible to get seen. I went there once and queued for hours, but they were only able to see about 10-15 people.

Also, I'm at work tomorrow.

Creole Thu 22-Feb-07 18:32:13


edam Thu 22-Feb-07 18:38:05

If you can't get to CAB, then you need a lawyer, I think.

Heavenis Thu 22-Feb-07 18:39:48

They may well pass the account on to a debt management company who will be able to accept a lower payment.

They will still take the £30.00 they very rarely send it back.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: