Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Best children's 'credit' cards/bank account

(7 Posts)
tactum Sun 08-Jan-17 11:43:45

Hi, kids early teen but starting to go out with friends shopping etc. Looking for recommendations for easy to use credit/top up cards/accounts to get them started on managing their money - obviously controlled overall by us. What has worked for you?
tia

NewtScamandersNaughtyNiffler Sun 08-Jan-17 11:44:35

Following as id also like to know this

CowboysAndKisses Sun 08-Jan-17 11:48:22

My girls have a go Henry account. They are easy to manage, can set parental controls and add specific tasks to complete before obtaining money. The cards are contactless and you can choose from a range of designs. You can set limits to spend each week and it can be controlled by the go Henry app on your phone.

Ilovemygsd Sun 08-Jan-17 20:15:07

2nd go Henry here, it's brilliant

goodapple Mon 09-Jan-17 21:42:24

Nationwide FlexOne account. Contactless Visa debit card with no fees, they can set up an additional FlexOne regular saver account to transfer into each month. Proper online banking access so they're learning how to manage their money in a realistic way. We pay monthly allowance in, they manage it, shift small amounts in and out of the saver account as they require. Not our money so no parental controls etc. Larger long term savings are in nationwide junior isa so they can add to that but not take money out. The JIsa is also accessed online as part of their suite of accounts.
Very impressive and clever way for nationwide to gain long term customers.

OFFFS Mon 09-Jan-17 21:47:54

Go Henry is good but pricey at £2.50 per child per month. Excellent customer service, I closed my accounts with them very easily. The app is good and you can see exactly what they are spending, set limits, set it up to pay when tasks are done. It doesn't pay interest.

Mine have Halifax accounts but the cards aren't debit cards just cash cards.

So, I'm switching to the Nationwide accounts previously mentioned. Mine get £5 a week but don't really spend much. (Hence why the fee was disproportionate). It's much more like a standard account which is why I want for them, as well as the savings account.

Passthebiscuit Mon 16-Jan-17 23:21:06

Metro bank is very very straightforward and I think they are quite handy for children in terms of how simple it is and how much they can help in store

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now