Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

What could he be up to? (Hope I am worrying over nothing)

(8 Posts)
rachelb2014 Sat 07-Jan-17 17:54:54

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping you will all say I am worrying over nothing - but I get really anxious about these things.

About 10 years ago I shared a house (nothing romantic - purely financial) with the weirdest bloke I have ever encountered. He (thankfully) moved out in 2007 - but all of a sudden I have started to receive mail addressed to him again at the end of 2016 and today.

The letter that concerns me the most is addressed to him with "HM Revenue and Customs" stamped on it.

I've just put it back in the post ("return to sender - not at this address since 2007") - but I don't understand why I have started receiving his mail again. Could he be up to something dodgey?

He's fathered at least two children with mothers that would have nothing more to do with him, so I am worried that he is using my address as a tax or child benefit dodge?

So my fundamental question is - should I be concerned that I am suddenly receiving mail again from somebody who moved out in 2007 and could he be up to something dodgey?

ExcuseMyEyebrows Sat 07-Jan-17 18:03:16

I know you're not supposed to, but I'd open ("in error") any more mail that came for him just to find out what's going on. Then you can contact the companies concerned to let them know that he's nothing to do with you or your address.

Imbroglio Sat 07-Jan-17 18:05:06

I think you are doing the right thing in returning the post. Opening other people's letters is illegal!

19lottie82 Sat 07-Jan-17 22:52:04

imbroglio. No, opening someone else's mail is not illegal hmm

Unless you do it with the intent of causing detriment to the recipient.

Opening it when you have good reason, ie you think someone is using your address for fraudulent purposes, is totally fine.

Imbroglio Sat 07-Jan-17 23:34:36

But why would you open it if you can return to sender? It's fairly obvious that HMRC stuff is going to be private.

HerOtherHalf Sat 07-Jan-17 23:37:02

Is it possible he had a mail redirect in place that has now expired?

marriedtoHomerSimpson Sun 08-Jan-17 00:03:00

We had this. We have lived in this house for 10 yrs. I opened the post addressed to previous occupant as there was no return address on the envelope - glad I did - it was threatening legal action for thousands of pounds debt. Previous occupant had also suddenly started using our address and allowing business partners to also use our address for loans, dodging solicitors/legal letters etc as his business was failing. Spoke to one of the lenders (letter in our post) they'd organised a loan through, who then put a stop note on our address for credit applications for anyone other than me or OH. Nothing come through since.

19lottie82 Tue 10-Jan-17 10:17:10

Imbroglio If I thought for one second that someone was trying to conduct fraudulent activity using my address, damn right id be opening any associated mail ! And then contacting the company issuing the correspondence to make sure they were totally clear what the situation was (as well as the police, if required). You don't think "return to sender" actually does much, do you?

If mail comes to my house for someone who I know has never lived there, I always open it to make sure there's nothing dodgy going on...... you'd be a fool not to!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now