Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

benefits for working parents

(14 Posts)
alexwest21 Fri 06-Jan-17 14:19:10

Hi guys and gals,
looking for advice from others who may have been in a similar situation. My wife and I have worked full time since we were 16 years of age.

When we finally became pregnant my wife found out that she wasn't entitled to maternity pay from her place of work so just has SMP. I'm working full time on low pay and have been told we were entitled to help but now the baby is here apparently we are not entitled to a single penny. So we have to make do with just my wage plus SMP.
I know people say to save up when having a child but if everyone went by the saying "have a baby when you can afford one" there I don't think a lot of people would ever have any.
Anyway, any advice and/or help would be greatly appreciated. smile

ICanCountToOneHundred Fri 06-Jan-17 14:21:28

I take it you are over the threshold for Working Tax Credit?

LIZS Fri 06-Jan-17 14:24:08

Child benefit? Presumably your wage isn't that low if you don't qualify for working or child tax credits. Btw Smp is all that the majority get as maternity pay, relatively few get an enhanced payment from employer.

ICanCountToOneHundred Fri 06-Jan-17 14:24:50

I think it is over £25,000 pa.

2014newme Fri 06-Jan-17 14:26:55

Smp is the norm.
Who told you that you were entitled to help and what help dud they mention. Child benefit is the obvious one.

alexwest21 Fri 06-Jan-17 15:29:36

They have literally said we're entitled to nothing, in currently on £15,000 per annum

unlimiteddilutingjuice Fri 06-Jan-17 15:32:53

Hi Alexwest. Who told you that you're not entitled to anything? I work in Welfare Rights and that advice sounds wrong to me?
I would expect you to be entitled to Child Benefit and Tax Credits.

Manumission Fri 06-Jan-17 15:35:03

Try this;

ScruffyTheJanitor Fri 06-Jan-17 15:36:23

Who are "They"?

Have you spoken to:
Council: Housing benefit and Council Tax credit.
HMRC: Tax credits, both working and child tax
And Child benefit... I don't know who sorts that?

Failing those, Google 'Entitled to benefit calculator'
Fill in all of the info.

I'm not sure you can claim whilst on SMP as they'll take your partners wage oin return into consideration. But I'm not sure on that.

Gallavich Fri 06-Jan-17 15:37:23

Who told you that? Have you tried to apply for income support or something? You are absolutely entitled to child tax credit and child benefit on that wage. Depending on whether you rent privately or otherwise you may be entitled to housing benefit too.

Pinotwoman82 Fri 06-Jan-17 15:51:00

You are definitely entitled to child benefit, and also possibly child tax credits?

Stingray2008 Fri 06-Jan-17 15:54:15

My partner earns 15000 a year and i get 12000 we are entitled to tax credits but that may be because we have three children.

LIZS Fri 06-Jan-17 16:37:54

Who is "they" ? Initially tax credits will be assessed on last year's income but you can update that subsequently. Child benefit can be claimed by a resident parent, though repayable on a sliding scale if anyone in the household has income over £50k. It is just over £20 per week for first child and can be backdated up to 3 months iirc.

unlimiteddilutingjuice Sat 07-Jan-17 09:54:45

I wonder if OP has asked at the jobcentre?
Since Child Benefit and Tax Credits are administered by the HMRC the jobcentre staff might have said he was entitled to "nothing" but meant "nothing from us"

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: