Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Ending fixed term rate in mortgage

(8 Posts)
YellowPirate Tue 03-Jan-17 16:17:44

Our mortgage is on in a 5 year fixed term, ending soon. It costs £1200 at the moment and is at 5 or 6%. If it comes down to the base rate is there a way to work out what our new payments will be or could anyone hazard a guess?

DadDadDad Tue 03-Jan-17 16:45:38

Is it repayment or interest-only. (More likely to be repayment). To do a calculation you need to know either what the outstanding balance is (the debt remaining) or the remaining term (ie how long the entire mortgage is due to run).

DadDadDad Tue 03-Jan-17 16:54:54

Or if you can remember what the original loan was for 5 years ago that would also be enough to calculate, although it would help if you knew your current interest rate beyond a slightly vague 5 or 6%!

imsorryiasked Tue 03-Jan-17 17:01:37

If you know roughly what is outstanding then use an online mortgage calculator - just pretend you are taking out a new loan for the outstanding amount.
We are able to overpay £150 a month since ours came to an end.

Tigerpig Wed 04-Jan-17 09:20:17

At the end of your fixed term your mortgage will flip on to the lenders standard variable rate...which for most lenders is around 3.7/3.9%

On that basis your monthly repayments would reduce.

However, you need to check what the standard variable rate is for your lender (I doubt very much that it would be base rate) and you might find that it's cheaper to enter into a new deal. I've just arranged a 5 year fixed at 2.3% and if you have more equity there are even cheaper deals out there.

YellowPirate Thu 05-Jan-17 19:30:04

Thank You, I'm finding it all quite confusing! We have around £200,000 left to pay over 25 years. I'll have a look at their base rate and see what ot works out at. I'm not sure how it all works when it comes to an end - will they write and give us options or does it automatically just go into their standard rate?

DadDadDad Thu 05-Jan-17 21:23:34

You can use this - type in the outstanding debt (200,000 or whatever), the remaining term (25y or 20y if you are saying original term was 25 and you have 20 left). Then you can play around with the interest rate you think you can get (leave the fees blank) and select repayment.

www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/mortgage-rate-calculator

Tigerpig Fri 06-Jan-17 17:37:28

Your mortgage company will just flip you on to their standard variable rate - they should write to you with details of your new monthly payment, but if you want a new deal you will need to shop around. I.e. The mortgage company won't just tell you what deals they have, you have to go looking for yourself.

I would suggest using a mortgage broker, look for a whole market broker not one linked to an estate agent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now