Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Are you worth a £1million?

(240 Posts)
MoneyBags Tue 20-Feb-07 20:44:57

DH & I used to be quite good at keeping an eye on our financial affairs until the kids (8 & 5) came along. Since then, we've bumbled on through, just about remembering to stick lumps in ISAs and PEPS, paid off bits of mortgage etc, but not done any active management or review.

Anyway, a number of 'life decisions' prompted us to go to an IFA for a total review. By way of preparation we had to fill in load of summaries of investments/ house prices/ mortgage etc.

Well.... we sat down with him today and discovered that if we add up the net equity in our house (value minus mortgage) and all our savings and investments.... we are worth £1 million

I am truly gobsmacked - it has sort of crept up on us.
The bizarre thing is that we don't feel rich or anything - I use coupons and codes for shopping and regularly buy and sell on eBay. And yet I am a millionaire

Bozza Tue 20-Feb-07 20:45:47

No.

ssd Tue 20-Feb-07 20:46:07

CaptainCaveman Tue 20-Feb-07 20:46:18

Would you like a new best friend....

hana Tue 20-Feb-07 20:46:24

that will make everyone feel great

Kbear Tue 20-Feb-07 20:46:46

I'm worth about half a crown in old money! Good luck to you though.

<<holds out begging bowl>>

CaptainCaveman Tue 20-Feb-07 20:47:15

Well moneybags, I am pleased for you if no-one else is!
Good for you!

hana Tue 20-Feb-07 20:47:25

is moneybags only post
should have realized

ssd Tue 20-Feb-07 20:47:45

ah!!

expatinscotland Tue 20-Feb-07 20:47:54

I'm worth FA.

In fact, I'm in debt.

lulumama Tue 20-Feb-07 20:48:28

wow ! half term boredom is really hardcore this week !

CountessDracula Tue 20-Feb-07 20:49:25

tbh most people living in London in a house in a halfway decent area are probably millionaires these days due to silly house prices

I thought it had to be liquid assets, maybe not

NadineBaggott Tue 20-Feb-07 20:49:37

Doesn't sound like a troll post to me. Probably changed name because OP will probably get negative comments.

Good for you, I say.

MoneyBags Tue 20-Feb-07 20:50:02

Hana - it's not my only post actually, but I have changed my name as my SIL posts on here regularly and knows my regular name, and I'd rather keep my anonymity.

I'm not a troll either - it's a genuine post.

Not bragging either - just sharing my shock and surprise, actually.

CountessDracula Tue 20-Feb-07 20:50:04

Nadine SURELY the woman who discovered pentopeptides is a millionairess??

SenoraPostrophe Tue 20-Feb-07 20:50:15

well I'm worth waaay more than a million.

Unfortunately the world and capitalism being what it is, I have bugger all. If I had a million I'd retire.

Stiller Tue 20-Feb-07 20:50:48

So pleased for you money-bags

jampot Tue 20-Feb-07 20:51:08

i too thought millionaire meant having £1 million in liquid assets not counting equity

NadineBaggott Tue 20-Feb-07 20:51:45

pantApeptides if you don't mind

and

I couldn't posssssssibly say ......

kama Tue 20-Feb-07 20:51:56

Message withdrawn

lulumama Tue 20-Feb-07 20:52:55

me too jampot!

anyhoo...apologies for being cynical...yay for you ! guess you can stop using the coupons now !

jampot Tue 20-Feb-07 20:52:57

what a lovely surprise. Im happy finding a tenner in the bottom of my bag

MoneyBags Tue 20-Feb-07 20:53:15

CD - you're right, I guess, but that said, our remaining mortgage is only a tiny % of the house value, so we could move to a different area/ smaller house and it would be liquid assets then.

The weird thing is, that DH and I have always been fairly frugal, and just consistent about saving, so with time (we're in our early 40s) and compound interest it DOES mount up!

ssd Tue 20-Feb-07 20:53:29

well moneybags (!)I'm glad you're not bragging, would hate to see that

hana Tue 20-Feb-07 20:53:36

but what are you expecting from posting this?
congratulations and well done to you?, that sort of thing and people up and down the country will be thinking of f*me, I've not got 2 cents to rub together. I just don't get these sorts of posts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now