Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Two Jobs. Tax Codes?

(8 Posts)
Babyroobs Fri 30-Dec-16 13:20:43

In the new Year I will be reducing my hours in my current job and starting a part time job in a completely new career, working 2 part time jobs around each other. Does anyone know how I will be taxed on the 2 jobs?
I am worried about being taxed heavily on the new job as it is not well paid anyway. Is there any way to split my tax code between the 2 jobs? I am anticipating that I will earn roughly the same form each job.
Thanks for any help.

gamerchick Fri 30-Dec-16 13:22:50

They split my tax code, just ring them up.

MaryManchego Fri 30-Dec-16 13:22:51

Yes you can split the code.

But if you are earning more than your full allowance it won't make any difference, you pay the same amount of tax in the end it just looks worse on your payslip when all your allowance goes to one job and you're taxed at basic rate on the other.

gamerchick Fri 30-Dec-16 13:23:24

Depends on the hours though I think.

lunchboxtroubles Fri 30-Dec-16 13:55:11

Makes no difference,you'll take home the same overall just pay more tax on one job than the other. They will split it if you ask but aren't very keen to do this.

Babyroobs Fri 30-Dec-16 18:27:17

Thanks everyone. One job will be 15 hours and the other 22, although I think the 15hr one( my current job) will end up paying slightly more then than the new job.

nannynick Fri 30-Dec-16 20:56:31

Tax free allowance for most people will be £11,500 from April. It is currently £11,000. So if you will earn over £11,500 from your current job, splitting tax code is not necessary.

When you start the new job complete a new starter/p46 and tick option C to say it is not your only job. That will start you on BR tax code.

Log in to your personal tax account and once you see both jobs listed, you can then request a split if needed and if HMRC does not do it automatically.

Generally I would avoid splitting tax code, perfectly fine having one job use all your personal tax allowance and having the other use none of it.

Babyroobs Sat 31-Dec-16 12:40:45

Thanks Nanny, very helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now