Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Need help finding life cover.

(6 Posts)
LowFatMilkshake Tue 20-Feb-07 15:09:56

Am extremley pissed off at our financial advisors who have arranged our remortgage which takes palce next week. She has just called to say - after promising to sort Life cover for us about 5 months ago when we first started this that she can't find quotes for us for a top up life policy as the amount we want comes below their system database . So she recommended I try to find an on-line cover - perhaps with Tesco.

Have just tried with them and they also have a minimum they will insure of £30,000. Over 3x what we need. I have a feeling it's going to be like this everywhere! And I only have 8 days to find cover

This company have been really good on the past 3 occassions we have used them, and it's been money well spent to off load the hassle, but this time I feel so let down by them - it's even worse as she knows we've just had a baby and can't always find the time to attend interviews and compare prices etc.

For the amount of work she has done for us, which I would guess to be about 3 hours tops we will be charged £250, not to mention the fee they will get from out new lenders.

Any ideas who will give a quote on life cover for a small amount?

Ladymuck Tue 20-Feb-07 15:18:57

Why do you want just a small amount of life cover (you don't mention how much you need but I assume less than £10k)? Are you sure that you don't have additional life cover from work?

I have to say that it is fairly unusual to get only a small amount of life cover - most people would round up a bit, or else if that is too expensive would round down.

If this is just cover related to the mortgage, how are you fixed in general for life cover. You shouldn't take the mortgage solely into account - what sort of lump sum would you need in the event of the death of your partner. You may feel that you could cope fine with a mortgage of less than £10k, alternatively you might want to invest in additional cover.

piglit Tue 20-Feb-07 15:27:36

£30,000 of life cover shouldn't cost you much and it's always better to have too much life cover than too little.

LowFatMilkshake Tue 20-Feb-07 15:31:16

This is the second (and last) time we've upped our mort to cover home improvements etc. and because our first policy would increase we took out a second and again they wont increase this time.

The reason they wont up the existing cover is my DM has since been diagnosed with cancer and passed away. Even though it was age related - she was under 65 (62 ). So I am considered to be a hi-risk.

It's not like we even have a huge mortgage now, but I guess one of us could cope with a mortgage of around £8,000 and it's not like we dont have some savings - but I am a "better safe than sorry person" who likes all angles covered!

Plus the fact if we passed away during the remainder of our mort term we both get "death in service" payouts, as the mortagage term wil be well over before we retire.

Ladymuck Tue 20-Feb-07 15:49:05

Tbh I think that you need to look at what the position would be if one of you did die and what total cover you think you might need, and where that is likely come from (exisitn polices, DIS etc). I don't think that uppping for the mortgage alone makes much sense tbh, esp if you are now seen as high-risk (and premiums will get more expensive as you get older). I'd either get a larger lump sum, or not bother at all.

LowFatMilkshake Tue 20-Feb-07 20:16:47

Yeah, have discussed with DH - who's mother also had cancer and we are going to get a quote for a larger amount. last thing you want to do after a bereavment is be worrying about money too, the way my mum did when my dad died.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now